1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wing extension edges moving

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gc3, Feb 24, 2013.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I had a set of ext. wings that the dealer installed on my vxt plow. I also put new cutting edges on the plow also. They worked fine. During the other nights plowing they were chattering in certain positions for awhile. Then it pretty much stopped. I thought they were finally dialed in. They set them level with the plow. Towards the end of the night I noticed some snow shooting out where the plow and extension wing cutting edges meet. The other night I remember there was hardly any gap between the two maybe a 1/8 if that. Now they are about a 1/2 inch. They said the chattering wont hurt anything till it gets wore down to even. So the bolts were tight and no gap hardly.Now with the chattering I think it pushed the wing edges out farther so theres a bigger gap. How do I get around this? I can't keep adjusting after each storm. Or do most of you guys keep your ext. wing edges up a 1/4 off the ground? If I did that then when it levels out again I'll just have to raise them up again. Thanks.

extwinggapleft2.jpg

extwinggapright.jpg

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Mine have moved before, Just two bolts per side to adjust them back. Takes no time at all, no big deal.
    I change out my cutting edge depending on what kind of snow we have. Steel to Rubber and back, have to adjust the wings each time. :)

3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

When its down in float do you set yours level to the ground or up a 1/4 so the extension wings sweep over the ground and not chatter

4. maxwellp

I put it down in float loosen the bolts move the rubbers down and over tight to the plow and ground. I do not get any chatter.

Are your wings tight on the pins or are they set up lose? I have mine tight. I had to shim the mounting brackets out to get them tight. This could make them chatter and or come off if they are sloppy. Someone else on here was saying there where falling off.

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

The dealer said he knew about shiming them if he needed to. When the spring pins are snapped in I can grab the top of the wing and shake it alittle but he said its supposed to do that. What position does the plow have to be in when you adjust the extension edges?

6. maxwellp

I have it straight. Not back on either side. Don't know if it has to be this way I just do it that way.
    Make sure that your plow is adjusted correctly. As in flat to the ground in all positions.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Once they wear down and stop chattering they should stop moving. So after they do and an adjustment or two you should be good from there on out.

8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Good to know. Does the plow have to be in v or straight position when your adjusting these extension wings? So your saying after each plowing if they move out and make the gap wider just to slide them back and level them out and they will eventually stop moving?

9. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I Did check that first lower bracket and they did shim it out with 2 washers in between.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Adjusting them in the vee position works best. And yes until they stop moving simply loosen the bolts and slide them back in again. Again it shouldn't take too many times of doing it. If it does then something isn't set up correctly.

11. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I put it in v and moved them back over. I hope they stay this time. Were supposed to get some snow tomorrow night so I'll be able to test them out then.

12. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

When does that happen ? Mine chatter till they are worn out, but only chatter on certain blacktop lots. They seem to chatter more on lots that are not sealed yearly. One place is so bad, I have to pop the wings off, as the plow hops, skips & jumps.....

13. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I used them the other night and they chattered alittle. On a right angle when it was bad I moved the right wing up halfway and it stopped. It was wet snow also. The left wing gap looked like it spread just alittle. I'll have to see how they do in the next storm