1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wing doesn't stay out

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by lumps, Dec 5, 2005.

1. lumps

lumps Senior Member

i have an older boss 8'2" v-plow, and the left wing never stays out. i put it out, and it slowly drifts back in (takes maybe 30 seconds to a min to come completely back). the in and out work fine, and the right side is fine as well, so it seems like maybe something is sticking a bit, any ideas?!?!?!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

How tight is the spring?
    I've been thinking of getting the new locking rams for mine, I hear that they help with this problem.
    It's possible there is some stuff stuck in your valve too.

3. maineskier69

maineskier69 Junior Member
    from maine

Talk to your local dealer about adjusting the relief valve. Can be touchy and a pressure gauge should be used to do it correctly.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If every thing, I mean, both wings bleed off when pushing a little snow and the plow fell a little when you go over a big bump then, yes, maybe it is the by-pass. The by-pass is for all functions. So a weak by-pass would effect all functions, not one wing.
    If you want to adjust your by pass, it's in between the reservoir and the motor, on that block , in front down low you will see a bolt head that is bigger that any of the others, Hey ! it's not a bolt!, but a cover! Mark where it is now with some paint. Now turn it in, count the turns go 1/4 to a 1/2 turn at a time all the way in is max psi, out is less psi. It is probably only 1 to 1 1/2 turns out to start with. Just turn it a little and try it out then readjust.

5. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

If you are going to work on it, check the valve with the coil on it first, just because its the easiest. Pull the nut off the coil, slide the coil off and look at the stem. It should be straight no humps. If there is replace it. If that looks fine it would be the pres. valve, you can try adjusting it first, then replace it if needed. Adjusting it is easy just do not tighten the valve all the way down, you will break something when you plow.