1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wing cylinder again. Fed up!!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

First storm of this winter I busted my left wing clean off, apparently the pin failed and the end of the piston sheared off, or vice-versa. Dropped it off at the shop and every storm after that I had to pick it up and use it with one wing because it wasn't done. Get it fixed and they put it back together using the 10 year old hoses, naturally a hose blew the first time I slid that wing out. So back in the shop for new hoses, wings got to come back off again, FINALLY get it back, I've sunk well over a grand into it now, sits for a month and the very first snowstorm the same wing snaps off. I couldn't tell if the pin was even there, but I saw the ears on the end of the cylinder sheared off again. Nice $350 piston ruined. Will have to look closer in the daylight to see why the cylinder broke, maybe they left that pin out? I wasn't pounding on the truck or anything, just plowing along nice and easy, stuck the left wing out into scoop mode to scoop snow away from a barn door. I thought the wing looked floppy or something funny about it, when I went to run it back in it straightened, laid forward and dropped right off.
    Bet Blizzard won't warranty this new piston, will they?
    BTW, this isn't a Blizzard dealer or anything, it's a close friends automotive shop that also deals in plows and repairs plows.
  2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Just a thought, and you would of had about the same money into it. I converted a 99 model into a 2005 and newer model that uses only 1 cylinder and a spring. Got the new style wing and slidebox, got rid of the extra hoses in the box, and capped off rhe 2 ports on the manifold. Now you have only 2 lines going out to the front of the plow, not 4. I know this plow is old, and you're debating what to do. just throwing ideas out there.
  3. Detroitdan

I thought about trying to put just a new blade on it, but I wasn't sure what was interchangeable. I'd really like to do that if possible. I know the new style hitch is different enough that I can't use my truckside setup, and I am in no position to spend over $5000 for a whole new setup, my trucks probably not worth that.

So I would keep my a-frame and pump, just change the blade, moldboard, slidebox assembly? That sounds great, then I'd only have to worry about replacing the pump and maniforld as they wear out. What's a rough guesstimate on the price?
  4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I bet the moldboard assy is the same as buying a complete plow.
  5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Dan, I probably sound like a broken record for saying this, but call Jerre (814) 898-2171. He will talk you through what parts you need and how to do the conversion if you can't take it down to him. If you can take it to him and Thomas, they'll fix you up better than new.

On the flip side of that, if you decide to upgrade to a different plow all together still call them. They probably have something ready to go and I bet they'd even take what you have as a trade-in.
  6. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

You mis-understood me. First of all, as far as I'm concerned, I would take 10 of your plows over one new one!!

Look up the breakdown for a 2005 blade and a 99-2000 blade. You can do this on the Blizzard site. You can use your moldboard and install the newer slide boxes that only use 1 cylinder each side as opposed to your style that uses 2 cylinders per side. You get rid of those 2 looped up hoses inside your slide box. The newer boxes use a spring to let the wing in and out. now you only have 2 lines going into the base of the cylinder on the backside of the moldboard. Then you block off the manifold ports that are no longer needed.This is assuming your moldboard is in decent shape. Most can usually be patched up with a welder. It's been a while, but I think I had to modify the slidebox stops on the back of the moldboard. Your a-frame can be updated if the pins that hook to your undercarriage are worn. You can cut out the old with a torch, and install the new bolt in style ones. If you don't have problems with your manifold, it may be worth your while to dump a few $$'s in your plow for next year. Just my .02..

P.S. Keep an eye on craigslist. My buddy picked up a Blizzard on there for cheap from a guy who got his truck repo'd and the plow was in his garage when they repo'd it. If it's newer, you may have to update your truck side harness, but I believe you can buy the truck side harness with light adaptors for about $300.00
  7. Detroitdan

I called and asked for prices to build a new blade, slideboxes and wings, just waiting to hear back. I didn't think about leaving the moldboard like you just suggested, but mines pretty beat and has already been welded at the bottom where it was pulling apart in front. The channel the slide boxes slide in are getting pretty soft underneath too, so I think I need a whole new blade/moldboard. Had to convince the parts guy it could be done, he kept insisting the newer plows wouldn't fit my plowframe. Finally walked him through it by telling him I wanted to unbolt my center bolt and both angle cylinders and swap from there forward. Apparently the newer 8100s won't work, but a 2005 style will and should still be available.

It is probably going to be a huge number though. I would love to send it to Jerres, but shipping would be a killer.
  8. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I will tell you this. You are not gonna like the quote from your parts guy. They just give you the msrp. Run away. Call Jerre. You dont have to ship your whole blade there. But he will give you the MUCH needed advice and the parts that you need. And i can almost guarantee that he will give you a better price shipped then your local guy. Hell your local guy didnt even know what to do. Talk to someone who does, so you will quit having problems.
  9. Detroitdan

Still no word on if they will warranty the piston. Supposed to be a 1 year warranty on parts, well it only took 3 hours to shear it off. Got a price of $3100 for a new moldboard and wings, $4100 for a complete plow with motor, everything but truckside mount and lighting. Out of my price range.

I'm about ready to bolt the wing on permanently at a 45 degree angle and call it a day.
  10. maelawncare

lol, perm speedwing.

Im telling yea, just call jerre
  11. Detroitdan

Well, Blizzard looked at the pictures we sent and said I can go pound sand. They said I had to have been backdragging and caught it on something violently to snap it off like that. Which is not true, That never happened
  12. maelawncare

lol, yea thats DD for yea. I wont say it again, i think i have said it enough in this thread.
  13. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

send pics of the damage and watt you talking about..
  14. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

None of it will apply to you. Apples and oranges. Different animal, different design and technology.