1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Windy and need to salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by qualitycut, Mar 10, 2009.

1. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Ok I have 2 hotels I do they are supposed to call when to salt but trust my judgment as there not there all day. The problem is its really windy out right now and not sure if it will do any good. Any Ideas?

2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

What have the temps been for the past couple days? and whats the current temp outside, are you using straight salt or treated salt?
  3. qualitycut

35 today about 9 now and 13 for a high tomorrow. Straight salt.
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Quality, the problem with salt in these winds is that it will create a place for the snow to blow and "catch" then drift. Also the effectiveness of the salt is lessened with the lower temps we are expected to get overnight. In my opinion I would wait as long as you can before salting. If you salt right before the rush into work it will allow the traffic to drive the salt down into the pavement and create a brine to undermind any ice and losen it up enough to plow off or dissolve into water and hit the curb line. This is what I was taught when I was at the county few years back.
  5. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

how much snow fell? Is it heavy, wet snow?
  6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

they say plymouth got 3 in but i got 1.5 50 ft west of pymouth
  7. qualitycut

The problem is its a hotel. We just got a dusting. I went and salted all the areas that is blocked freom the wind so I will have to see what happens. Ya I talked to alot of people and the totals they gave on the news were about and inch or two higher than they told me.
  8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

When in doubt.......Spread
  9. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

I was out last night finished my rout. Went back again at 4 and the roads where they salted were melting good.
    And those were open areas where the wind was kicking snow across the road. The term windy really didn't apply last night where I was..It was Blustery.

At 4:30am it was -1 and wind chills were below -20. As I said where I was Blaine and Isanti to Elk River roads were melting good. They were just applying salt at 4am too.

I guess the real big help was how heavy the snow was along with the little accumulation, plus pushing the snow off. When I went back out there was hardly an inth of drift.

Like cretebaby said...just do it.
    Heck you got a good contract so why loose it to doubt, right?
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

:nod:.......:drinkup::drinkup: Best advice you'll get.

When you think you should have, and didn't......you will be sorry. Error on the side of safety. It's a better position to be in than trying to explain why you didn't provide the service you are contracted to do.
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would salt too. At least you did in case of a fall.
  12. qualitycut

Well I ended up salting went back out this morning to check on it, was all melted. At least I made some money last night.
  13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you made the right choice. Being safe is always the way to go.
  14. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

to salt or not in a heavy wind situation.
    I can someone of the points it's better to salt no matter what. But, then the flip is if you salt you probably are creating a base where the blowing snow will not stick. So, now you've salted it melted and refroze and accumulated more snow. Can you charge for another plowing and salting???

There needs to be a balance. You can't win against the wind. Until the wind cuts down the ground is probably not icy so, it's hard to judge. Waste a salt run or double charge and loose the contract. A slip and fall will occur even on dry ground. Lawyers only care if you serviced when you said you would if you didn't then your in trouble. Hard question.