1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

windshield wipers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bcx400, Dec 8, 2003.

1. bcx400

bcx400 Junior Member
    from pa

I read previous posts about heated wiper blades, and heat tape. Do they work and where do you buy 'em? I hate knockin' off the ice from my wiper blades every 20 minutes- and I can't see unless I do. Any other ways to keep the blades from icing?

2. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

3. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I just got a pair of the Safety Hot Blades from MYLES Accessories 800 354-5338, They are on sale for $39.75 each. Its a heated blade, comes with a built in thermostat on the cable that you ty-wrap to the wiper arm, a 5 amp in line fuse, and all necessary wire. I'll be installing them today. I'll keep you posted.

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Put them on yesterday.

im000781.jpg

5. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Another picture. Theres a little thermostat in the line that turns them off if the temp is above freezing.

im000785.jpg

6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

The wire runs thru the hole the wiper arm attaches to, and connects to a fuse. I put a switch on the dash. The instructions say just to wire them to a switched source.

im000786.jpg

7. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

Cool! Let us know how they do!

8. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

It's snowing now, I just ran out and flipped the switch on!

9. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I have been using "storm" type blades for years. They are available at almost any auto supply store, look like regular blades with a fairly tight but thin rubber membrane over the metal to prevent ice build up. The last set I bought were called Winter blades by Trico. They last a couple seasons if you take them off after the winter. The rubber is black and breaks down in the summer sun.

10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I put a heated wiper blade on my Trackless, because when running the blower, there's always snow blowing back over the windshield, and if the temps are low, then the wiper ices up, haven't had a chance to try it this season, but will post my opnion. I posted this before but for you guys who don't want to spend the bucks a cheap cure is to spray your wiper blades with 3M dry silicon spray, the best way is to take them off and spray them indoors ( in Winter weather) and reinstall them. Snow and ice will not stick to them for 2-3 storms.

Bill

11. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I used to laugh at my Brother-in-law for using winter blades. I tried them, and now only use them. They are not perfect but it beats the regular blades!

12. Drinkher Pretty

Drinkher Pretty Junior Member
    from SE Pa

gpin.I have been using these blades for 10 years.When you install them put a piece of black electrical tape or duct tape were they always come apart and you will get at least twice the longjevity out of them.Matter of fact I just bought a two pack of PEAK winter blades at SAM'S and they are complete pieces of ****.They don't touch the window in the middle and on the one end.Drove up to the Poconos today in a snow storm man was I pissed.I will be going to PEP BOYS tomorrow for tricos.Tape trick works great

13. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

call me crazy....but, heated wiper blades make NO sense. Wiper blades move too fast to remove ice.....duh. go to napa and buy yourself a good set of winter blades that have a rubber boot covering the whole mechanism. You can't re-invent the mousetrap.
    -Jeff-

14. bcx400

bcx400 Junior Member
    from pa

reply suppose to be here

'call me crazy....but, heated wiper blades make NO sense. Wiper blades move too fast to remove ice.....duh. go to napa and buy yourself a good set of winter blades that have a rubber boot covering the whole mechanism. You can't re-invent the mousetrap.'

I would like to know how the heated blades work for you-cpss.

RE: last thread
    I think the heated wiper blades are NOT designed to remove ice from the windshield (your defroster will do that) but rather keep the blades from icing. It sucks to plow and have your windshield smeared with ice stuck to the wiper blades.

15. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Jeff, they are not ment to remove the ice from your windshield. They are heated to prevent ice from attaching to them. How many times have you had to reach out the window and "flip" your wiper to dislodge the ice?

We plow mostly roadways and large parking lots. When going 10 MPH or so, the snow sometimes blows up on the windshield, melts, and then freezes at the bottom where the defroster doesn't hit. The heated blades worked well to prevent ice from attaching. I never had to "flip" the blade in the 15 hours we were plowing this weekend. The ice build up at the bottom of the windshield was a little better, but was still there.

Overall, the blades I used were OK. If they heated up more, I think the problem of the ice on the bottom of the windshield would be solved. They were only $39 each. The regular silicone winter blades we used in the past were $19 each. I'd like to try the Blizzard blades before I commit to buying the heated blades for the rest of our trucks. If anyone has used the Blizzard blades, please post your opinions.

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

To all that think the rubber booted "Winter" blades are the answer and heated wipers are a joke.

Your WRONG.

The rubber booted "Winter" blades by Trico, and others work and do the job they were designed to, BUT......

When its snowing HARD, and COLD, or the snow is blowing up over the hood, the "winter" blades ice up just like REGULAR blades. They act like a big giant icy snoplow across your windshield.

CPSS,

Just where is the heating element in your blades? In the wiper arm or in the actual rubber wiper? Can you post a better picture of the business end of them?!

Thanks

17. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  18. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

Chevy Wipers not for real world

I am very inerested in this thread.
    ***** and Moan rant of the day:
    WIPERS

New '04 Silverado WS wipers are designed that as the ice builds up it is trapped under the arms lifting the wiper off the window and putting serious bad leverage on the wiper drive shafts. I'm sure this design is the right look for the style conscious ass heated-leather seated-Onstar equipped-cupholder overloded- plastic cladded designer truck crowd but come on guys , how about the guys that actually use trucks for WORK!.

And if g-d forbid you open the hood, the ice slides down and winds up trapped in between the cowl and the hood. Close the hood without cleaning it out and you will spring the hinges or damage the hood.

When you go to clean the blades they lift but I cannot figure out why modern wiper designers can't make them flip up an stay at a 90% angle like they used to.

Boy!, That rant felt great now if I can just get all those bic lighters to stay lit on the wiper arms....
    PB:cool:

19. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Re: Chevy Wipers not for real world

1998 Jeep wrangler. My wipers can flip out and stay at a 90 degree angle...

20. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

mine stay at 90 degrees on my 03'. here's an idea......buy an old jeep, flip the windshield forward and be a man dammit!
    -Jeff-:gunsfiring: