1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

windshield wiper

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wirenut, Dec 31, 2008.

1. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

hello all,
    my 04 pu pass side wiper stopped working tonite but drivers still works..:mad:
    anyone have that happen ?

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I know on my old Dodge it was a linkage thing. If you pop of that plastic bezel that under windshield on the outside. You will see a bar that goes across it might have popped off. its a ball and socket so bring a pair of channel locks with ya. But your real issue maybe that you dont clean off your snow under your wipers. So after you fix this issue buy a sno foil for your plow that may help a bit too

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  3. BigDave12768

Hope this helps

To remove the wiper motor, first take off both wiper arms at the bottom where they attach to the truck. The attachment is a spline with a spring clip holding it on. You may need to go to an auto parts store, and buy the simple tool made for this purpose, they are not difficult to remove once the spring clip is released. At this point I use a small pry bar to "coax" the wiper arm off you should use a rag to protect your paint. Once you have the wiper arms off open the hood. at this point you will need a small socket & ratchet, the entire sheet metal plate that is between the hood & windshield will need to come off (right under where you took the wiper arms off). When you have this removed & out of the way you will be able to access the wiper transmission where it attaches to the motor, it's just one nut! When you have the transmission unhooked. Disc. the wiring plug from the motor along with the hoses for your washer. Unbolt it and your done! It may be a little stubborn separating it from the body there is some putty in there to seal out water.To install the new one follow the well known "chiltons" directions "to install reverse procedure"

4. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

Now that is a well written answer to a logical question with no BS. It is guys like BIG DAVE that make this a great site.

5. BigDave12768

I copied and pasted. He should have bought a Dodge in the first place :jester: But seriously I had same issue on mine linkage cracks and you have to buy a whole new transmission for it. Like $60 and real easy to fix.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually on the GM's its more common for the wiper arm to strip the splines on the end of the arm first before they'll damage the wiper transmission or linkage...basically a fuse of sorts to protect the rest of the mechanism.

If you remove the arm you'll see right away if the splines are missing in the arm. New wiper arm and 5 minutes for the fix.

7. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

hey b&b

yeah b&b thats what i was hoping for...i havent looked at yet to freakin cold
    but it does pulse a little
    hey i thought i fixed my j stik problem but i went from rt angle when stiking lft to no angle
    but the pistons move a little when i try to angle..almost like they were bound up
    would that be s2 ??

thanks

8. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

The only problem is that the 04 does not have clips for wipers or a sheet metal plate....sorry

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Start back over with the basics. Check to see if the coils have magnetism when the respective function is activated.

The S2 should have mag when angle right is pressed, and BOTH the S2 and S3 should have it during the left angle function. Then simply back track from there.

If your temps are that cold it could be an ice issue so keep that in mind.

10. mikelawtown

from Mass

wha was it again, a chev-dodge..etc.?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hope its a Chevy or else its in the wrong forum. :D

12. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

is there anything else.....ussmileyflag

13. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

My uncle had the same thing happen to him on his 2005 last year. It was just the nut that holds the wiper on the stud, it had loosened up. Hope that helps.

14. mikelawtown

from Mass

where in NH are you?..I can give you a hand if your Near SalemNH..Or PM me and i'll tell you exactly what needs to be done to get the wipers off or your cowl, i seriously have taken off about 100 wipers and cowls on 99-2007 GM's..

15. 4speed

4speed Member

On my truck I just removed the nut holding the wiper arm on, and added a star washer (I greased it up to prevent corrosion). Tighten the nut securely but don't over tighten. It's been fine for two years now

16. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

thanks all

hey harley you were rite,had a chance to look today.
    nut loosened up it even had thread lok on it....so they are not splined but tapered
    as someone said. i wasn't to thrilled about having to take the cowl apart in the driveway

thanks

17. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

Glad I could help. :)

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You misunderstood the term "splines". The wiper arm has a set of shallow splines in it that through the pressure of the tightened nut "grip" the NON-SPLINED portion of the TAPERED wiper transmission. This is the so called "fuse" part I mentioned. As once enough tension is exerted on the arm (or the nut loosens) the arm slips on non-splined tapered section of the transmission, which is intended to save the other expensive and more troublesome to replace components of the wiper system.

Same reason adding a washer under the nut helps the arm grip the transmission again since it can force the splines to once again grab the tapered shaft.

19. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

well i guess it isnt fixed, i'll have to pull it off and look...

thanks

20. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Mine had a hiccup the other night, but I did a technical procedure that immediately rectified the situation....I have yet to investigate further as it seems that my predecessors tactic has yet again proven effective.

..............I simply smack the damn thing in a downward motion.

Seriously though, I tend to get a majority of ice build up around the "shank" of the Passenger's side wiper arm. It tends to cause nothing but problems on my rig. 02 GMC 2500HD