1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Windshield Time

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dgerke, Dec 3, 2010.

1. dgerke

dgerke Member

Good Morning to all , have a question what is considered reasonable drive time for setting up new clients or subbing ? I know it depends on what it pays if its worth it or not but just kinda find the reasonable drive considering my 92 F250 14 mpg @ 3.00 a gal thanks for any input .

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

That question would be a different equation for everyone.

Are all your lots/drives grouped in that area?
    Is there time to get to the next place to satisfy their needs?
    Highway, country roads or city neighborhoods?
    Is this the only lot that is out of the way?
    Is it possible to sub it to someone closer and still make a dollar or two?
    What's it worth to you?
    Is the lot owned by a customer that also has a lot close to you?

I have drove many a mile during a storm but have also been paid to do so.
    In closing,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would love to even come close to 14MPG!!!
  3. dgerke

dgerke Member

I am concerned about takeing on miscellaneous word of mouth costumers driveways few here few there outside a 40 mile radius I am a independent opperator with 2 trucks enough to keep busy but always looking to bring more on to expand.. Yes 14 mpg would be great probly only getting 4-8
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

your lucky to get 14 mpg. i get 11.5 without the plow. im interested to see what i get whih the plow is hooked up. also if you are still able to make money and you feel its worth then go ahead otherwise is may cost more than its worth

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

There is no way I would take a driveway more than 10 miles out. Unless said drive way was a mile long 2 lane drive that paid what it took.
    If it was a HOA with many drives then yes I would but not 1 or 2.
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The biggest problem wouldn't be the mileage you got with the truck, it would be the wear and tear along with the chance of breakdowns. So unless your able to get at least 4 hours worth of plowing all grouped close 45 minutes to an hour away, I can't imagine it would be worth the drive.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I dont get more then 10 miles away from my shop
    the on call ones my not be a every time plow either