1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Windshield Leak

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by frostypuck, Mar 31, 2008.

1. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

Hey guys,.

I have a '97 F250 HD old body style.
    It's raining today, and lots of rain seems to be coming in the top of the windshield, from under the interior molding.
    I checked the cab clearance lights, and they seem to be weather tight.
    I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the chrome outside molding and silicone around the windshield. Does this work? And why would it happen in the first place? It looks to be an original piece of glass, so no replacement in the past.
    Any ideas?
    Chris in Boston
  2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I have a 95 that is doing that, I tried to caulk it to no avail. I have to get it changed soon due to a crack, hopefully that will fix mine. Could be rust in there or the glue/sealant has gone bad imo.
  3. AHammen

AHammen Member

I used to work at a body shop (still do the work on the side out of my own shop now). We used to see this a lot and the best solution is to cut the windshield out and put new urethane in. With it being a 97 there is a good chance that it is a replacement windshield and the urethane has let loose because the person who put it in didn't prep the area properly before the new windshield was installed. If you want to try to fix it yourself get some urethane (you'll find this at a body shop supply distributor or maybe a body shop/glass business will sell it to you or of course the internet). Use urethane instead of silicon because it will hold much better, silicone won't adhere very well and you will have the same problem in the future. Hope this helps.
  4. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

That's great, I think you guys saved me a bunch of headaches. My brother-in-law has a body shop, I'll have him do the window.
    Chris in Boston