1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Windshield ice build up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ratherbfishin, Jan 30, 2015.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

The past storm here was brutal with ice build up on windshield. It was very cold with lots of snow. I do not want to deal with the every 10 minute windshield clean again! 2 trucks....2011 and 2013 so no defroster issues! My thoughts are these...

1. Heated wipers...skeptical and not thrilled about using there specific blades and more electrical system strain

2. heated fluid...again, taxing electrical system.

3. Snow foils...not a total fix especially with the power snow

4. copper tube from fluid reservoir wrapped around radiator hose...I like this idea;not sure if extra hose will impact fluid flow.

Any thoughts???
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I just blast it on defrost and crack the windows to keep from roasting. Works pretty good.
  3. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

5. Crank your defroster temp and fan to high, then crack the windows.

Clear windshield > operator comfort.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

X3 adjust windows as approate.
  5. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

X4. Mine is usually down most of the way. I will say that the heated washer fluid in my new truck is pretty sweet. Never knew I needed it.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Buddy of mine would keep the truck cool inside this way the snow wouldn't melt and freeze to the window.
  7. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Old boss did same, floor heat on low, half temp
  8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Problem with doing that is that the window has to be clear to begin with - ie: not covered with ice from sitting all night, or not have any spray from the road. Plus if you turns the wipers on to clear the snow thst flies up when plowing, it's still going to smear the windshield a bit.
  9. ratherbfishin

Defroster stays on full...windshield/wipers ice up to the point of not being able to see. Many complaints from operators during this storm. Like I said, it was very cold with lots and lots of powder fine snow.
    Funny,my wife suggested no heat at all...just doesn't work!
  10. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

MY heats always a full blast I never had issues...
  11. ratherbfishin

This was the first time I had any serious issues. Both my trucks and many other operators I talked to. Extreme cold, powder snow, 2-4" hr.all contributing factors.
    I did 30 or so hrs. Straight so the smallest issues at that point became huge!
  12. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

This storm seemed really bad for icing wipers. Seemed like I had to stop and clean them every 10 minutes.
  13. mackclmodel

mackclmodel Senior Member

Get winter wipers and rain-x the wiper cover and edge, Works Wicked Pissah
  14. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Same happened on my 2014. Nightmare. When its 3am and 5" per hour, 12 degrees it starts piling up. I ahd the defrost as hot as it will go. Im considering heated wipers if anyone has a brand they recommend
  15. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I'd rather go fishing and not worry about the ice buildup! What kind of fishing do you do?
  16. Grantski

Grantski Member
    from 06475

Thats the main reason i had to stop working overnight this last storm...besides the fact it was my first storm ever plowing lol. I went out for one round @ midnight but all it took was a few minutes w the window down or door open and truck interior was wet = more freezing/fog on the windows. it was literally ZERO visibility at times. Not worth it for my small startup of only 15 accts. It made for a terrible day of pushing 18"+ and alot of getting jammed up... but for under $1k id rather show up once and have it be a ***** - then not show up at all cuz im crashed or worse.
  17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It happens to me a few times a salon,I just keep plowing and give the driver side a flick now and then
  18. Teflondon

Teflondon Junior Member

I had so much ice build up that my passenger wiper arm actually popped off and landed on my hood. So I was plowing with it in my cab for a while thawing it out. I chipped out the ice before I could put it back on. What a pain.
  19. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

In my old truck i had spare blades on the floor heating up and swapped them. Not fun. I dont want to get out
  20. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Mine are always yellow.

I stand on the bumper and pee on the windshield