1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Windshield Deicer for Concrete... ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Winterized, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

OK... if this is that stupid a question I can take ridicule.

So much is written on the ...best and safest liquid for pretreat... I'm saturated and confused by reading it all.

Would auto windshield fluid be a viable option to pretreat concrete steps? Not harm the concrete, pet paws or lawn?

If this is really stupid... what would YOU use at your home that is safe and effective. the quantity would be small so price is not a big issue.

This would be zone 3.5 so would be used between +20 down to 0. Thanks....

2. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

It can't cost much to try it at home.

That said, I don't believe it would work. On the windshield, it doesn't take much snow and ice to dilute the fluid to the point where everything still freezes. As an example, ever spray washer fluid on a windshield that is frosted over? It works for just a bit and freezes again.

3. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

i use it on brick steps. works great. i had nothing but doubts.

4. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I think it is made from Methyl Hydrate or the like which isn't really environmentally friendly is it ?
    Pete

5. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

I'll take not being 100% "green" over a slip and fall any day.