1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Windows get real dirty with plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MikesLawns, Feb 13, 2007.

1. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

I have a 8 1/2' fisher mm on my 99 2500 and a 9' on my 04 3500 rack body dump. When the roads are wet and slushy I can't see out the windows. I have the visors over the side windows on both trucks and that doesn't do a thing. The 99 has a GTO hood deflector and the dump truck has nothing, so those don't help either.Both trucks have mud flaps with stock size tires. It's a pain because when I get at a new account I have to get out and clean the windows so I may see.

Thanks for your help,

2. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

For me angling it one way or the other keeps one window clear but slops up the other one. Just a part of the job.

3. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

me too

i have the same problem ( 03 2500hd) 8' fisher
    doesnt matter if its angled or not... window always gets blasted i too have the bug guard and the window deflectors as well as a visor.... i found that the spray off comes off the front wheels through that crack in the bumper and bounces off the plow back onto the window, the only thing i can think to do is to cover that grap with like a mud flap, just havent gotten around to it yet

4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Having the same problem on a 99 2500 gmc.
    Trying larger front mud flaps right now, but I think it's more spray coming up from top front wheels. so if this doesn't work me may just change the standard flares to cut out flares you would throw on when you put larger size tires. and just use those in the winter.

5. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Its mostly from your plow disturbing the air, I'm sure your not having the problem with the plow off so you'll probably just have to deal with it, I think we all go through it. :D

6. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

Yeah it's only with bthe plow on, so we have to deal with it. Thanks,

7. SNAKE85

SNAKE85 Junior Member

Slush

Now this is dirty. Plow wouldn't raise, had to plow 6 miles of town road to get home & repair it.

P2050020.jpg

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's funny!!!!!!!!!!

9. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

Why didn't you drive into a snow pile and then short chain it to get home? I would send the city a bill though.

10. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

BUY THE LOOKS OF THE MUCK on the TRUCK, I TAKE IT YOU WERE A LITTLE :mad:

THAT REALLY SUCKS

11. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Thats what the ability to short chain a plow is for. I would have hated to see you hit something in the road, that did some real damage.

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Thats funny right there!!!!:D

I have the visors on my 00 Silverado and my windows still get all covered in overspray. It is just on of those things you have to deal with. Or I have carried a spray bottle with window washer fluid in it and a squeegee (sp) to bust the crust off real quick

13. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Do you short chain a fisher by lifting on a pile of course and then taking the slack out of the single carry chain on the drivers side in the frame slot. I've had to do a Western before but this year will be my first with a fisher. I assume they call it the carry chain because this is what it is for. Just want to make sure it will handle transport.
    Thanks

14. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I carried my straight blade angled left last year. The right mirror would stay mostly clean, but the left would get trashed in minutes. It was easier to clean the left mirror than the right. 97 GMC with 8' straight Fisher. I am not sure how the XV will be on the road in V.

I feel this is the safest way to carry a straight blade. If you did hit someone/something at least you might deflect off the road rather than accross the lane.

15. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Actually, it is just the opposite of that. If you hit a bank or something, yes...you will deflect off of it, but it doesn't push you out into the other lane. as a matter of fact, you maintain control rather well. On the OTHER hand though, if you happen to hit a bank or something with your plow angled to the LEFT, it will suck you off the road faster than you could ever imagine possible. The banks are alway at our right. It is a SURE rollover accident waiting to happen. It has happened many times before...That is why it is SEVERELY recommended that the blade be angled to deflect off.

16. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I was thinking of hitting a vehicle coming the other way, if one of us crosses the center line. If I get sucked to the right, that's my problem. At least no one else would get hurt. I also find it easier to navigate intersections that way. Left turns are wider, and the blade sticking out on the right is less of a problem compared to making a right with traffic in the opposite lane and the blade sticking out four feet on the left.