1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

windows fogging up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tattoofever, Dec 22, 2008.

1. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

how it going i plow with an extended cab pick up ,and the windows are constanlty fogged
    up the fts are easy enough to clear but the backs are a pain i mostly use my mirrors but there are times when i just have to look out that baack window and end up having to keep
    the middle window open which works fine but of course the truck fill with snow does anybody have any tricks or know of any products that help ive tryed rainex but that did little

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

3. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

what do you do just have it oscilating and thats enough to clear up windows? i'll have to try that i just happen to have one in my work truck , thanks

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I turn off the oscillation and just point it at the passenger side/rear window and let her run. Circulates the warm air around and keeps all windows 100% fog free.

5. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

i cant wait for it to snow so i can try it thanks

6. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Plow with your windows open a bit

7. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

ya i do that somtimes all the way just so i can see

8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

That's what I do. I keep the heat blowing on the window a bit (and down below), and keep the window cracked a bit...sometimes just open...depending on the conditions.

9. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Just keep the blower on high in the defrost mode. I never get fogged windows in my vehicles doing this. Once it gets warm enough turn the temp down, not the blower.

10. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Agreed.... Never have fogging and I have an extended cab as well. It gets hot as hell in the truck but no fogging. Also, keep as much snow as possibe off of the outsides of the windows.

11. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I noticed a big fogging problem the 1st storm too. Defrost is always on high and windows are down half way. Dunno what was going on, but after about 5 hours of no the defrost not working i wiped all the windows down with my hat and they didnt fog up the rest of the night. Fog on the windows and ice on the wipers piss me off more than anything.

12. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

Depends on what kind of snow! If its a wet snow fogging is more of an issue than if its a mid 20's snow.

13. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

it was a very dry powdery snow. temps around 23*.

14. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

ya i notice it more when its colder out ,i'm out from start to long after finish when it snows ,ive done it all windows down blower high i keep the snow off as much as possible but thats easier said then done if its snowing like last night ,im going to try out the fan idea that REAPER mentioned

15. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

Somtimes if a truck sits alot, or has some sort of leak, there is a lot of moisture built up in the carpet or upholstry, that will tend to fog the windows... I like to keep my vehicles coverred with tarps head to toe, before storms, so when it warms up and I pull the tarp, there is no build up on anything, including mirrors... The vehicle warms up faster and therefore stays drier than if there is a lot of snow on the roof and sides... Crank the heat, strip the layers of clothing and drink a lot of water...

16. PlowGood

PlowGood Member

Defroster mode should be running the a/c compressor to eliminate the moisture.

Check to make sure you do not have a leak in the heater core which will fog up the interior.

17. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

I run the blower on high at all times, and when i plow the window is always down so I can stick my head out to get close, never have problems fogging.

18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Not breathing as much keeps the windows from fogging too.......:D

19. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

On the 01-07's Silverado,GMC the compressor supposedly wont kick in if the outside temp goes below 28 degrees. My dealer explained that to me when I took it in for the no defrost problem. Anyone else ever hear of that one? Also if you have your wet coat and boots on that will add to the problem.

20. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

all i do is crank the heater on deforst mode and crack the front windows down (i have vent visors) and if that doesnt work then i crack the back window untillit defogs then shut it never been so bad i cant see yet