1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

windows fogging up...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

After I had my plow installed a couple weeks ago I noticed that my windows fogging up. It happened on two occasions and both times it was very damp and rainy outside with mild temperatures. I'd never had a problem with them fogging up before and seemed odd. Is this because the plow is blocking the front of the truck where air comes in, or do you think it was just due to the cool damp air outside?

I have the 760LT Blizzard on a 1/2 ton Silverado. Does anyone use that Hydrofoil that Blizzard makes to direct air back down into the engine?

2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I have no idea about the issue of the plow somehow causing that by restricting airflow, I've never had that problem.

But, I can vouch for the Rain-X products you can buy, especially the 'anti-fog' you can apply to the inside of your windshield. It works really well, you should give it a try.
  3. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

Having the plow on.. should not effect the humidity of the air coming out of the vents, maybe the temperature alittle, but you would notice that based on the engine temperature more so than air temperature. Its sounds to me that since it was a rainy day you just had an excess of humidty in the vehicle. I know this sounds like a silly question, but did you run the defroster? This would least help clear up the windows. But you might check out the problem further before having to spend money on a solution that may not even solve the problem you are having. Just my two cents. :salute:
  4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

yeah I did run the defroster and it actually made it worse until I pumped the temp up a bit. Then it was okay. Like you guys say, I think it was just due to the weird moist air we had. I might try some of that Rain X JohnTwist mentioned. I was thinking about applying some to the outside of the windshield, maybe I'll try the anti-fog as well.

Thanks guys.

5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Is your A/C working properly. If it's (the compressor) not coming on during the defrost mode, it takes the heat to remove the moisture. It should be kicking in on defrost, and will almost instantly clear the glass, even before you get much heat. Maybe a fuse was blown or a wire knocked loose during the install of the plow.
  6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I concur. Those rain-x products kick some serious hi-knee. I have a routine whenever I know (or that is when the untrustworthy, clueless, dice rollin' weathermen with the dartboards start playing the guessing game and tell me to prepare for snow :yow!:) it is going to snow. The night/day before I wash down all of my windows and mirrors. I then apply rain-x to the outside all the windows and the anti-fog stuff to the insides. Stuff works great, especially the rain-x on the outside. Stuff just beads away and the inside doesn't seem to fog up as bad. Notice I said as bad, it is not the cure all, but it does help significantly.

The other thing I find that helps is keeping the window cracked in the vehicle. I bought those rain guard cover things for the front windows that way when it's cracked no snow/rain/sleet is getting in yet it's helping the fogging up issue.
  7. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Up North.....check all your connections under the hood...particularly near the install..Mine did the exact same thing when I got it from the plow shop and it ended up being a HVAC plug knocked loose near the plow relay...I figured it got knocked loose during install of the relay....

Also, some vehicles have an outside/inside air switch....it should be on the outside setting....mine automatically goes to the outside setting when turning the defroster on.

Good Luck :waving:
  8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

When I had my Western installed on my 2003, they hooked the power supply for the joy-stick to the same fuse as my AC. On the way home the fuse vibrated loose causing the AC to stop working. Like the other guys said, check the fuses in the fuse box & all electrical connections made by the plow shop.
  9. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

I have the same problem with mine. If you leave the truck outside this will happen. The reason is water gets into the heater box and the freezes. So when you turn on the defogger it will melt and start to do this.
  10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I love the rainx products anti fog stuff is cool
  11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Is it possible the you have a bad heater core?????Rob
  12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

check to see there is no air coming in where your plow wiring comes through the bulk head (fire wall).
  13. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I get plenty of heat and the compressor (A.C.) kicks in when the defrosters are on. When I get back off the deerstand tomorrow I'll check all the wiring from the plow and see if something got missed during install. I'm hoping it was just due to the conditions outside, just seemed wierd since I'd never really had it happen before, and hasn't happened since I took the plow off.

Thanks for the tips & ideas guys, I'll let you know if I find anything.