1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Windows are expensive!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, Jan 28, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

On Saturday I shot out the rear window of my friends GMC Sonoma with the BB gun(accidentally, Im not that bad of a friend) :blush2: He gets a new one tomorow and was quoted $289! Thats a good chunk out of the buy a plow fund! Oh well, I have a funny story and I can earn that back real fast, no problem, please dont make fun of me, my aim is not that bad (just ask the tin cans).

2. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

That's nothing...

Last year I was hauling a full cube of concrete block in the back of my truck, and while slowing to stop on a decline, the whole cube fell forward through my back window...

$600 piece of glass - rear window w/ defroster

Luckily my insurance covered it - no deductible

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

It happens. $289 seems a little steep, but not too bad. Does it have the sliding rear window or not?

4. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Mo sliding or nothing, just a back window, flat and small on those trucks.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I would of said I was pulling him out of a ditch and the chain broke!:D

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

LOL GV

Was you shoting the cans off the bed ??

7. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

you'll shoot your eye out kid :eek:

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Not even close. Two years ago my crew cab got broken into in SLC.
    They broke the right rear window out and took my rifles (was at a shooting match, the cops recovered the guns i'm STILL waiting for the idiot feds to release them).
    Anyway (i'm only slightly bitter about the idiot feds :gunsfiring: )
    Duct taped up the window to drive back to colorado, and called the dealer

$650 for that little window!!!!!!!
    And what choice do you have?, ya gotta do it.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

...........................................................................................................................................

christmas_story_c.jpg

10. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

thank you mr sir LOL

11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

It was like $375 for my F-150 backwindow. Twice. GRRR thats why the new truck after being a week old got a custom made headace rack. I think I over did it just a little as it weights 200lbs. :D

12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I guess $289 isnt THAT bad, but its still a bummer to pay, was I shooting at cans in the bed, not exactly, lets leave it at that.( besides I had to reglue the sights on, so Im not sure how accurate it is) :D Hes a good friend and got a good laugh out of it and was not upset, hes getting a new car today, and selling the truck in the spring, so he wasnt to worried.

GV I was waiting for one of your pics, and the funny thing is, it WAS a red rider! Not much power in that little thing, all I can think, is the cold temps must have made the glass brittle.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  13. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

got my front windshield replaced over the summer. $290...fully covered. :cool:

14. yancy

yancy Senior Member

$ 289 does sound expensive for a back window but it is still cheaper than any side window. I have had to replace the back window in our 94 chevy twice. I just hate cleaning up the glass you never stop finding it!

15. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I hear you guys, i'm an auto glass tech...289 sounds normal..Just the urethane(glue)is 10 bucks a tube..Maybe if your in Mass close to me and dont have coverage i can cut u a break..The average price on a cash price from glass companys are from 240-310 these days

16. Ogrebonz

Ogrebonz Junior Member

Did you price a slider? Years ago, ok back in '91 I bought a new slider for $99. Consider a junk yard too, we sell alot of used glass where I work. and discounted new glass.

17. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

My friend went to another place where he could get a used one and have it installed for $150, that sounds better to me.

18. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

I've always heard the sliding rear windows are cheaper than all glass. Never had to replace one myself so not 100% on that. I wouldn't worry about anybody on here makin' fun of you about it. If your buddy is any kind of friend at all he'll be makin' fun of you for years. That's what friends are for.

19. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

the class in myf150 the windsheild has crackd 2 times now. it broke last year in a big storm. first time it did it we thought something hit it but this time it was obvious the plow must just pull enough on the frame and snap. the windsheild with the decal that says f150 is like 150 and the one with out it is like 300 something i didnt get that but owell

20. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

funny you should say that you never stop finding it...

my buddy bought a '94 crewcab dually about 3.5 years ago. the day he was supposed to pick it up, it was stolen off the lot. smashed the drivers side window out, and busted the column. they got the truck back, replaced the window, fixed the column, and the little bit of body damage it took during the joyride. they also completely detailed the truck. my buddy was really anal about the truck, and probably detailed it 20 times. last June someone pulled out in front of him, and he drove it through a Ford Taurus. nobody seriously hurt, but totaled the truck. he was going to let it go, but i paid him the buyback on it, and took the truck for parts. as i stripped it, i kept everything clean, vaccumed up all glass as i found it. now i'm STILL finding glass in my garage, and the truck was entirely too wide, and too long to fit in my garage, so it had never been in there, and the cab has been gone since July.