1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

window install drivers side

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lonewolf, Aug 2, 2003.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Junior Member
    from Alaska

I have a 84 K10 diesel truck. The drivers side window broke out and I have the parts to install it. My problem is that when I try to put the window in the channel with the rubber insert the thing seems to be very hard to put together. I don't want to break my new window so how do I get it together without doing that....there must be a way since the factory does it. I am 33 miles above the arctic circle here in northwest Alaska so going out and getting that "special tool' or part can be a major undertaking. Any advice from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.........it's about to snow here soon and so the other half is on me about it..........

Pierre Lonewolf
    Kotzebue, Alaska
  2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Been a long time but I can remember taking the vent wing out and rolling the regulator clear up so the rollers stick up out of the door. Then you can slide the glass channel onto the rollers and roll it down into the door.

Make sure to clean out ALL the broken glass before you start. One small shard of glass can kill a new window. Be sure to clean out the rubber that the glass rides in.

Be sure to lube everything up too.
    Good luck,
    Mark K
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

The channel strip must be in just right,or the window will not slide into it,or it will be very stiff.Careful positioning and lots of silicone spray will help.

Oh.....and Welcome to Plowsite. :D
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Junior Member
    from Alaska

OK guys...........Here is how I solved the problem of getting the channel on.......I used some large wood working clamps......and it slid right together with some silicone spray on the rubber and some patient adjusting of the clamps and it went together.....if anyone wants a picture I can send it to them.......thanks for the idea's..................