1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

window and lock switch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nrplowguy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

I don't know what can be done about this one and don't want to tear into it and hit a dead end. what i got is on my window and door lock switches DS all the lights stopped working in it, is there a way to fix or would i have to get a whole new switch. i put some component speakers in a few weeks ago and when i pulled the switch assembly all connections in the plug were good and tight. of course i didn't have the smarts to look for bulbs or anything then

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very very common issue for the bulbs to burn out on the door switch panels. The switch panels (bulbs) are not serviceable so it's intended to simply replace the switch panel as an assembly.

However, if your good (or someone you know is) with electronics they can be disassembled and new bulbs soldered in.

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I ve seen the inside of those switches it dose not look like fun...Also I don't know where you can find replacement bulbs...

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Locating the bulbs I can assist with if the OP has an avenue to get it repaired. :waving:

5. RichG53

I think my pass side bulbs are out I would be willing to tackle the replacement If you can tell me where to get the bulbs in WI...

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Let me dig the bulb #'s up Rich and I'll let you know. I get them from an on-line outfit that deals in electronic appliances.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  7. RichG53

We have several appliance places near by..If that is what you mean....

8. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

bulbs

i am very good with doing replacing that type of stuff B&B let me know where to look for the bulbs

9. RichG53

B B where are the part No.. for the replacement bulbs....????

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm workin' on it Rich. I have a pack of them....somewhere. :eek:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Found them. Here's a good place where you can get them on-line too: Replacements These already have the resisters built in so no extra work is needed...which is why I use them.

12. RichG53

Thanks B B ... Could I find them at Radio Shack..Since there are many near by...? ? ? ?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can't say Rich, never tried a RS for them. You'd have to see if they can cross the p/n.

14. RichG53

Thanks I will check them out...

15. RichG53

B B I forgot to ask the lights Chevy uses are they the white ones or are they tinted...Or is what I saw the plastic lens they use is tinted .. ? ? ? ?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The bulbs themselves have a small colored diffuser placed over them...at least on all the ones I've seen. I simply remove the diffuser from the old bulb and replace it onto the new one.

17. RichG53

I looked at a old switch it looks like the bulb is colored I don't know if there is a diffuser on it...I 'm not sure on how to get the circuit board off the the plastic switch mount with out damage...Any help ???????

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats the toughest part..getting the PC board loose from the switch housing. The connector pins that protrude through the bottom really hold them on there. Just takes alot of gentle persuasion to separate the two without fracturing the board.

The bulb itself isn't colored, it has a blue diffuser slipped over it. It will come off the bulb.

19. RichG53

I best wait untill I have lots of Patience to do this ...It wants to hang for on for life ...
    Thanks ! ! ! !