1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wind noise in HD Chevy/GMC

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by trustyrusty, Dec 30, 2011.

1. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

It seems like a lot of HD Chevys and GMC's have really bad wind noise around the driver's door, especially in a cross wind. Does anyone know of an aftermarket weatherstrip that can cure this problem? Or, what is the problem? Seems like its usually the driver's door and yet the weather stripping looks to be in good shape. I have two brothers-in-law with HD Chevys, and now I bought one, and all have the same problem.
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have a weird humming noise on the passenger side sounds like by the windsheld only when I carry a plow above 50MPH. Crazy part EVERY one of my trucks has done it and current ones do it.
  3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I have the problem on my f250 but just when there's a crosswind and it gets caught in the rain guard. Best advice, learn to live with it or open both windows :D
  4. zr900

zr900 Junior Member

Mine was real noisy and new doer pins and bushings fixed it.
  5. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

alot of the problem is from closing the door numerous times tends to shove the metal away from the door that the weather strip is attached too causing it to not seal as tight when closed, the best way to fix this is remove the weather strip, take a block of wood and a hammer and tap it toward the door pushing it back in its original place, replace the weather strip and all should be well, you might have to do this a couple times to get it right and remember don't beat on it too hard as all you want to do is move it slightly to tighten it up when the door is closed.
  6. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

Me too

only with 9' blade up and on the highway -55 mph plus

seems like its coming from the edge(s) of the wind shield
  7. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have had this noise at times in '03 2500 HD. Drove me nuts for long time because could hear it very plainly at driver's side but the passenger could not. I've determined mine to be outside near the passenger's side edge of where the plastic of the defroster cowling meets the window glass. Check there for chaffing. I haven't taken the time to fix mine yet but think I could either sand somet plastic off or put a rubber tire patch where it rubs. Maybe I can get a photo posted tomorrow.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

9. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Mine does it too. I thought it was something with the windows being sealed. I have crank windows, and it would seem like from slamming the door and general vibrations the window would slip down a little. Tightening it back up just a hair with the crank seems to make it a little better, but doesnt make it go away completely. I honestly don't even notice it anymore I am so used to it now.
  10. Philbilly2

Glad to hear that everyone else is dealing with this not me. Guess it is time to pinpoint the problem for sure
  11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

the one thing i have noticed is the windshield w-strip. its got a flap that comes over the glass that flaps. i had a driver complain bout it. just said turn up the radio and you'll be fine. lol
  12. Philbilly2

all of my trucks do it... it is so annoying.

My wife can't stand it. she is constantly f*cking with the dash trying to stop it :laughing:
  13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry I mounted my rectangular beacon on the roof instead of on a back rack because now the wind noise increased.
  14. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

Mine does it to. it's really annoying on the highway. I need new door pins on my drivers side hopefully when i decide to put them in it will fix that problem.
  15. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Has nothing to do with the cowl rubber part at the bottom of w/s. I ran a small bead of silicone at the outside side mouldings where it at the glass, at highway speeds the plastic/rubber moudings spread a little and makes wind noise.
  16. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Sorry, I never posted pics. I trouble shooted this problem a long time ago and never did anything about it. When I took the pictures Saturday I noticed the my whole cowling is loose on passenger side (you can pull it up and down). The one pic shows where I thought I had friction. But further inpsection I discovered under the rubber flaps that cover the hood hinges where there is a small torx screw that holds the cowling down. My cowling is busted there and the screw does nothing. I am going to remove the torx screw & put a fender washer on to see if it clears my wind noise.

My wind noise was only at certain speeds and could be effect by wind direction.

DSC00256 (Medium).JPG

DSC00257 (Medium).JPG
  17. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I get the same wind noise in my 05 hd, and it is worse in a crosswind also. I talked with a body shop and they assured me that a set of new aftermarket door hinges would fix the problem. At $150/side, so $300 total. I haven't had them fix it yet, but I trust their assessment of the problem.
  18. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

also from the mirrors the gap between the mirror and door
  19. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

I had the same problem around my window and found they have small plastic strip. That cover the hood were it piot
  20. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Sorry to say I just had last week new hinges, pins and bushings put on my drivers side door. Helped a little but not worth the $. Must be another problem. Obliviously there is something wrong with aerodynamics of these trucks. Oh I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado Z71 standard cab 6' box.