1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winches for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigjeeping, Oct 1, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

:drinkup: Anybody have one in case things get nasty... what type and how powerful?
    Would you recommend having one on your truck for snowplowing?

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

a snap rope work too.and cheaper.
  3. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

i have winches on all three of my plow trucks. they come in handy granted i have not used them every year when i need them theres no substitute. i just bought new winches for my rigs on part that the old ones weren't reliable. i have used 8500lbs warns but my new one's are 12,000 mile markers. cant wait to get to use them. a few years back we had some very nasty snow storms and i was subing for a friend that runs a large plowing service and i was doing more pulling then plowing. tho he paid me the same(was recovering his rigs) this is also the year i had to buy chains everyone was getting stuck.
  4. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Plowing in Anchorage? That must be no joke. I can only imagine you guys get more snow than just about any of the lower 48. What's a typical winter's snowfall?
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Not a bad idea, I've always just used a tow rope. But this way you would'nt need another truck there.
  6. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

facts on Alaskan precipitation

General Alaska Water Facts:
    Alaska has more than 40% of the entire nation's surface water resources
    About three-fourths of all fresh water in Alaska is stored as glacial ice that covers nearly 5% of the state
    Alaska has more than three million lakes, over 12,000 rivers, thousands of streams and creeks, and an estimated 100,000 glaciers
    Longest River----------------------Yukon River, 1,280 miles in Alaska, draining 204,000 square miles
    Largest Lake-----------------------Iliamna Lake, 1,115 square miles
    Largest Glacier---------------------Malaspina Glacier, 850 square miles
    Highest Average Annual Precipitation-220 inches, Little Port Walter, S.E. Alaska
    Lowest Average Annual Precipitation-4.8 inches, Barrow, Arctic Slope, Alaska
    Greatest 24-Hour Precipitation-------15.2 inches, Angoon, S.E. Alaska
    Highest Average Annual Snowfall-----540 inches, Thompson Pass
    Greatest 24-Hour Snowfall-----------62 inches, Thompson Pass
    Statewide Average Annual Precipitation--1,050,000 million gallons per day
    Statewide Average Consumptive Water Use--27 million gallons per day
    Alaska Surface Water Inflow---------152,000 million gallons per day
    Alaska Surface Water Outflow-------989,000 million gallons per day
    Normal Reservoir Storage------------1.8 million acre-feet
    Total Estimated Water Use--406 million gallons per day, 82% surface water, 18% ground water
    Greatest Daily Tidal Range-----------38.9 feet, Upper Cook Inlet
    Alaska Total Land Area--------------586,000 square miles
  7. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

I keep a nice comealong and a tow chain in the truck. Not fun to be stuck at 3am by yourself. :cry:
  8. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

we have had some really nice seasons. but last year was horrid, only went plowing three times, and thats no good. hoping this year will be better and im sure it will be cause one of my drivers has gotten a 9-5, so that means it'll be a banner year.
  9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

California's Blue Canyon is number one over 241" average a year.
    I dont think Anchorage's average is that high at all. I will check.
  10. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Where do you have the winch mounted? obviously not the front of the truck b/c of the plow... in the truck bed?
  11. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

no actualy it is in the front i have it mounted to a custom bracket that is bolted to the a-frame and have two roller pullys so it goes above the plow, just put the plow down and run the cable over the top threw the pully. works good.
  12. RHarrah

RHarrah Member

How about a picture?
  13. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

big jeep-
    More important than a winch is using your head. I am sure there will be times you get stuck, but once you get some experience, and if you use common sense and good judgement, you won't need that winch very often. That said, we do mainly commercial lots. On some of the residential where you are out there alone in unfamiliar territory, that is when you might need the winch. Good luck.
  14. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We have "snap" straps in every truck. You can almost always find another truck to help pull you out...
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We call them "Yank Straps" around here. They should be in every truck. They are cheap and a lot easier to use then chains. I use mine year round to help people out. I just tell them they have to help someone else out in the future.