1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

winch stopped working

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by IPLOWSNO, Jan 16, 2011.

1. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

hey guys,

my winch suddenly gave up, i can hit the button and all it does is click, from the black box all the wires connect to under the seat,

what should i be looking at?? winch,or black box or something else, arghh its suppose to keep snowing for the next few days,

any help would be appreciated?

i am trying to find my box and see if i still have the new stuff i never used to see if i can narrow it down. dam i hope i didn't give it to someone to hook them up lol

thanks and its a 3000# superwinch with warn elec, componets if that helps????

2. IPLOWSNO

alright so i found my box and i still had all the original superwinch stuff, i read the manual and for trouble shooting tips it really blew,

i can hit the button, and what its doing is clicking at the solenoid? [black box] and it says nothing about that type problem,

3. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

clicks for either in or out?

sound's like your contactor block whent poof and not making the connection from the battery to the winch.
    you due have 12V going into the contactor from the battery?
    Id check that then check the output on the winch side. manual bypass the contact block make sure the winch goes in/out and if that works Id replace the contactor block.

good luck.

sublime out.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

sounds like the contact solenoid is bad. Similar to a Ford starter solenoid.

5. IPLOWSNO

yea blime if i go in or out it just clicks, the superwinch block is cheesy compared to the warn one that is why i left it on there,and i liked the switch from warn better also,

and i hate electrical so it was easy to just hook up the winch :dizzy::dizzy:

i hooked up the superwinch box quickly and it has a male that i beleive goes to a male spade, and the directions are useless for that.

now i get nothing :mechanic:: i was happy to hear the click anyway, ooof:laughing:

6. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

That sucks man! I think the contactors on all winches are less reliable than the winches themselves.

As sublime said, just to be sure, I would check that the winch or rocker switch isn't bad? Make sure all connections are clean an tight too.

Good luck.

7. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

get a meter and check if you got power going to the winch when you hit the switch. if you do its your winch. if you dont then its your contactor

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

You mean if it doesn't have power at the winch, it's the contactor.

9. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

ya thats what i ment. i fixed it there now

10. IPLOWSNO

thanks guys, i have to get a meter, then you can tell me how to work it lmao,

dam sled is leaking chaincase oil so i have been staying off that and then this happens wtf

to top it all off i took a p/t job with a loser company as a loader operator.

they call me at 130 am just to find out the loader is broke and he knew it, so that made me happy, then the next night i plowed snodust and car boogers, for two hours.a salt truck could of done it faster by melting it,but i feel it may have been a test by the foreman,

then it snowed to wear you could actually see snow in the pusher and for the last two mornings no call, but i spring awake to wait for the call, which never comes, so maybe it was a weekend off type thing,

theyre poorly managed so that maybe the reason, during the interview the boss found out i am a finish carpenter and he wanted me to work on his house for 15 an hour, to which i said no thanks,but he still hired me to be a loader operator,

then the foreman said the same thing, and i said to me thats a slap in the face, if i wanted to work in the winter doing my skilled trade all i have to do is make a call, i just want to sit my ass in a loader and do circles, it's alot easier and it is just to keep me from doing nothing, its like someone telling him to plow for x amount imo

if i don't get the call tonight , it looks like i have some electrical and mechanics work to keep me busy lmao

thanks guys i will keep ya posted

11. IPLOWSNO

so i got a test light and it lights up at the winch, so is it the solenoid that is bad?

12. IPLOWSNO

i think another one bites the dust, and another one gone and another one gone another one bites the dust, dada shootout hahahaha

13. sublime68charge

if your getting light at the winch then its most likley the winch.
    though you could get enough volts and amps to light the light but your connection 0somewhere is bad and not good enough to draw enough amps to power the winch.

I'd run jumper cabels direct to the winch and then to a battery. when you hook up the last connection Id just touch the clamp to the winch post and it should spark and winch will go in/out.

if nothing happens whack the winch with a hammer kinda like a stuck starter motor. You might buy your self a day or 2. or take the winch off and then take the motor apart and clean it.

I know there's threads on cleaning a winch motor over at www.highlifter.com
    or you need to pony up that snow plowing money and go buy a new winch.

good luck
    sublime out.

14. sublime68charge

to bad see if you still had a warn winch you could listen to "We are the Champions"
    not be messing around with another bits the dust LOL

15. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

I know this sounds crazy, and I don't mean it in a bad way, but is it possible the winch is in freespool?

Just a thought.

16. IPLOWSNO

i still have my warn, sitting in a box with new cable on it even,

i just spent the last who knows how long getting it out of there, and i hooked it up to my batt charger and nothing happened.

i hate wrenching on ****, dam hands are all bloody muddy and greasy arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

and to top it off my sled is really throwing a fit so i threw it on craigslist hahaha i spent the last few weeks ordering parts for it, basically throwing moneyaway hahaha and thinking i tightened it all up and it's still a huge pos dam yamaHA

no i wish it was in freespool, i couldn't get it in freespool till i got the dam thing off and now i am throwing it in the deadpool.

so i called superwinch and to rebuild it they said something around 150 and about a week to turn around.so i am gonna see if the new one i seen for 200 is the same one,

pony up my plow money hahaha i am lucky to keep gas in it with that,all my vehicles are 4wd so at this point the neighbor is screwed lol me i will just drive my snow into the ground lmao

so anybody have a better way to mount a winch up on the rack maybe? right now its down in no mansland and is usually submerged in mud snow water? and frankly i am not fighting it back in there hahaha

i can bang **** with a hammer so for shits and giggles i will try that lmao

thanks for the help guys,as usual you guysare the best, just wish you were neighbors hahahaa

17. sublime68charge

pic
    has the winch mounted on the top rack.
    [​IMG]

I like it up there Keeps the winch out of the mud/snow and can watch the cable wind up and if it gets to much on 1 side you can back it off and spool it back on the drum the correct way.

18. IPLOWSNO

yup that was what i was thinking thanks blime,

wheres little blimes helmet?????????

19. IPLOWSNO

i might have good news, i have been on the phone with superwinch, awesome company and product imo as my winch is 6 years old ,

well i took blime advice andfigured hey hit it with a hammer and take out some frustrataion, it didn't do anything but i figured i would remove the bolts and see what makes it tick, so i opened that sucker up, the hammering let the case come apart as it wouldn't before,

well it has a copper coil surrounded by earth magnets i beleive and it has 4 brushes with springs under them, guess what i was missing hahaha one was intact which led me to surmise what i was missing,

the brushes well slabs of metal that look like wedges, gone ,ground up ,dust lol who knows how long it was just contacting the bare edges of the wire lol

i am gonna send it infor a rebuild and i am waiting for some special number from him to send it back, hopefully it will be under a 100 bucks so i can still get my tires without displacing too much mad money as it is scarce these days

i will keep ya posted, maybe i should take apart my warn now that i am overflowing with confidence and i still have my hammer out lmao thanks guys

20. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

you can buy the brush kits for them on ebay for like $20