1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

winch question ....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Pinzgauer, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

didn't really find a place to put this question, so maybe the mod can help.

Do any of you guys us hitch mount winches to get you out of a jam? If so which one? In addition would the power from the trailer plug be sufficient to run it?

Thanks ....

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

No I call an other plower to give me a tug and no your trailer wireing will not handle the winch. Not even an ATV winch

3. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

most winch manufacturers have hook ups that go directly to your battery. or just buy some jumper cables and cutem and put connectors on the ends for battery and winch.problem with a winch is you need something to hook it to.to pull you out.id find a good buddy or tow truck co. to have just in case.

4. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

You can go up to 9500 lbs. on a winch receiver mount. I picked up a Ramsey (Made in the USA) 9500 lb. winch for $479 from a local 4x4 shop and a SuperWinch receiver mount $129 from Summit Racing. I went with the Superwinch mount because it has handles to make it easier to install and remove. You need a minimum of 2 gauge battery cable and you have to run it to the battery. Most name brand winches come with the connectors and enough cable to mount it on the front of a truck. You need to pick up some extra cable and run it yourself if you want to mount it in the back of the truck.
    As stated, you need something strong to hook to (a large tree or another truck). I would not trust a parking lot/street lamp post as a safe anchor point.

5. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

if you have a v plow you shouldn't really have an issue of getting stuck i have the boss v and i just drop it in the v and swing it to the scoop and push my self out i have never had to get pulled out. have had to pull out some of my other trucks with straight blades but most of the time they can wiggle them enough to push themselves out. i don't know what you plow but what to you plan to hook the winch to? light posts and mailboxes? Let me know what you get.

6. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

dont be hookn to my mail bos unless you put her back up

7. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

although i am not really putting anything into this thread, i have a hydraulic (milemarker) winch and i would recomend it,
    but as far as your winch-want's why don't you just carry a good cum-along with you this year and see if you even need it if plowing is the only reason? or if you are just wanting a winch and think you may not use it often try harborfreight they have some 9500lb for ~$300

8. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks guys for all the replies ..... my accounts are mostly all in the woods so I'd use a tree to hook to. I haven't gotten stuck yet but I'm just contemplating that if I ever did I'd be pretty much lost out there. Not just in the winter with snow and plowing but other season with mud, etc..I do have a comealong in my box which I have used in the past .... just looking into better ways, maybe.

Thanks again ........

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If you are using trees to attach to you better get a tree saver strap.

10. Zippy

Zippy Junior Member

If you are just looking for a winch to save your butt that will not hurt your wallet take a look at the 8K lb one from Harbor freight. They can be had for $300 and come with a mounting plate. I offroad and made myself a hitch mount since I have 2" receivers front and rear of my rig. Not the fastest winch out there but it would get you out of a bind. I wired mine off the battery with 4ga welding cable with quick connect ends from powerwerx.com . Grab an extra set of the ends and you can make a slick jumper cable setup. Add in a snatch block and a tree saver with a couple of shackles and you will have a nice setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left the 2" a little long and added the padlock to make sure my winch stays as my winch and not try to walk off with some little punk :gunsfiring:

Kevin

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  11. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

great pics ... thanks a lot