1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winch on Bobcat??? Tired of getting stuck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rich414, Jan 22, 2016.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Getting stuck in the snow and needing a pull out happens a few times a year. I have a bobcat s300. If I have the blower attached, there is NO way to use the blower to push myself out and I need a pull. My son is off to college and this is the only way that I can think of to get myself unstuck without help. There are trees everywhere so an anchor point is not an issue. I have attached 2 photos of what I want to add to the back of my bobcat so that I can get myself out of a bad situation, and one of me stuck. I "Googled winch on skidsteer" and these photos came up, but no link to who did this. I was wondering if anyone out there has added this to their skidsteer and was willing to share their fabrication experiences with me??? Thanks

To add, there are over 1000 markers on the 3 mile road, and the last photo was me going off the edge at 3am after blowing all day. in some areas there is NO shoulder on the road, or the road markers are buried.

I am looking for comments on how to add this to my bobcat , not comment like : you need markers, be awake, stop drinking, your in colorado-u smoking lots of weed etc... Please understand thanks!!

t300 right side winch mount.JPG

IMG_5359 (2).jpg
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Are you always getting stuck by going off the pavement (as in the last pic)?

If so, markers can do wonders.
  3. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I have over 1000 markers on the the 3 mile road, this going off was in between markers at 3am after blowing for the last 12 hrs.
  4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I've got mine stuck but I always have a truck around. Here my suggestion. That's a good idea, if you are going to use a winch
    I would get one and get a winch mount that goes into a receiver. Then get 2 weld one recivers weld on to the bucket and 1 to the rear of the machine. Dont forget a snatch block and I would get a wireless remote for your winch. By the way ramsey makes awsome winches
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Stop smoking weed......and get some more markers.

J/K, looks like a great idea.
  6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Be thankful you didn't need pontoons on it.

Cool looking winch setup, probably some forestry setup.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Good idea eh, Mark?:whistling:

or get a good gps and be within inches of your last known good pass.

you could just drive the edge and store it,

Nice idea,
    i like the receiver hitch idea.
  8. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

receiver hitch is a great idea but you still need to fabricate the frame and attach it to the bobcat. Not sure how a 12,000# receiver hitch would hold up with a side load, plus what does a 12,000# winch weigh with hitch attached. Might need a crane to install it
  9. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I can easily lift a 5k or 6k winch alone (+/-100 lbs)...and then the receiver hitch(+/-100 lbs). So...not much.

I thought you wanted to fabricate this?

BTW: I like the edit in the op. :rolleyes:
  10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Personally I would be more concerned getting stuck with the arms blocking the door

Popin the window, crawling out sounds like fun
  11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Maybe a heavy duty comealong would help? I carry one in my truck, but I've nevet had to use it.

How about putting tracks over the wheels?
  12. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

It looks like everything you need is in those pictures. It's a nice looking package. They are running a hydraulic drive winch, which you could do, or you could run a 12v one. The hydraulic drive one might be simple because you could control it from in the cab and not need a separate controller or wireless remote to drop and lose.
  13. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

In Ice Road Truckers, twice they showed drivers getting unstuck by using their drive tire to wrap a tow strap on it (with the other end anchored to a tree). Looks like you have enough clearance with your tires to try that. Could bungy it to the chains on the tire to keep it on.
  14. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Northern tool has a 9500lbs winch 699.00 and weighs 85 pounds
  15. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

16. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Contact bobcat directly, pretty sure this is a part of the forestry packages, both the images you show have the skid steers outfitted with all the other forestry stuff.
  17. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

have bolt on tracks, but its like on ice skates, some parts of the road are 15% grade. I think that over the wheel tracks would yield the same result. Ice Skates
  18. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

thats a big crazy setup with the hydro, bet it works great though.
  19. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Thanks for the comment, will contact bobcat Monday, The local dealer had no clue on this.
  20. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

I run into similar situations with rural customers with gravel drives when I use my tractors to blow them out. My tractors are only 2 wheel drive. The people don't drive on the edges of the road, they drive in the middle, so the build up in the drive lane adds to the crown of the road.

Also the sides are looser gravel then thee middle again because they don't drive there. I know well the feeling of leaning as you try to get the width of the drive done.

Part of the problem is that the blower is only 4" wider then the tractor, 2" on each side, so you have to get that close to get the job done.

Can you get a wider blower? Has anyone ever considered making a side shifting mechanism (like a forklift) for the quick hitch on the Bobcat? If you could shift the blower over 4-6", that might solve your problem. Might need to make a counter-balance shifting weight on the back to balance it out? Could put wheels on the back of the blower, like a highway plow?

My solution to my problem was to do the last pass at greater then a 45* angle, and then back up and do another section. This way I keep my rear tires in the middle of the driveway where I have traction.