1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winch mount Bending

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by tjslawnservice, Dec 16, 2009.

1. tjslawnservice

tjslawnservice Junior Member

We have a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500. With a 50" tusk city Slicker and our problem is that the mount is bending down. I was curious if it was the mount or driver error.

2. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

:D

Cheap steel from china, Warn is real bad for this problem, good for 1 inch of snow and that is about it. let me guess you have a quick disconnect mount not the pushtubes???:dizzy:

3. BruteForce750

BruteForce750 Senior Member
    from MA

Skywagon, its unfortunate you seemed to have a bad experience with Warn as I've seen you bashing them in several posts now. I disagree with you that its "cheap steel from china" but most likely driver error.

I have a Warn plow, and the steel is NOT cheap, and actually pretty darn thick at 12-gauge steel. :dizzy:

tjslawnservice, as for your issue, do you have any pictures to show what the actual issue is? Is it a mid mount plow? or front? Either way, I'd rather replace the mounting plate that took the abuse over a more crucial part of the bike, say the frame.

4. Lakeman

Lakeman Junior Member

BruteForce750 +1

Keith

5. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Just to clarify, is the winch mount bending or the plow mount?

If it is the winch mount then what is probably causing it is when pushing snow, if you get up against a snow bank and try lifting the blade it can bend the winch mount. Most mounts are made for a straight forward pull, not an up or down pull.

I had a neighbor that complained about bending his winch mount so I watched him plow for a bit. Sure enough, he would get against a snow bank and hold the blade against the bank with the throttle or brakes. I just suggested he stay off the throttle and brakes so the machine could move away from the bank as the blade raised. He didn't have any problems after that.

6. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Wait til you bend that POS up you will learn, 19 posts and your and expert!!! Well You are't n Jack Chit!

7. BruteForce750

BruteForce750 Senior Member
    from MA

Oh ok... please wait a moment while I go off and post a few useless non-supported opinionated bashing comments so I can raise my level of expertise....

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

8. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

+ 2

also think about this. when the plow frame is already as high as its gona go under the frame. and you keep winching up. somethings gona give. and this is why i added a spring between the winch rope and the frame. so it DONT BEND!!! or learn to stop when your winch is draining the battery and you want to go higher.....

9. tjslawnservice

its the winch mount not the plow or push tubes. Thinking about fabbing something up from the front tow hook to support it. Or make a new mount.

10. tjslawnservice

Ya i can get pics up. And i don't winch in till I'm moving backwards.