1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winch control

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Mossy517, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Mossy517

Mossy517 Junior Member
    from SE PA

I have been thinking, has anyone altered their winch switches? So as to have them closer to the grip?

My thinking, the best way would be a small push button near each grip. Out on one side(left grip) and mount another button IN (near the right grip). I am going to be looking into this as I think it would make it much nicer, especially while plowing.

2. 92ramcharger

92ramcharger Junior Member

I've seen someone try that already, a button on the right side would be more of a pain than anything else, with the throttle on that side it makes pushing a button slow ya way down.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Used a momentary DPDT center-off switch to run the winch and a piece of scrap steel... Since the pic, I trimmed the extra material off, painted the bracket, soldered the wires on the back of the switch, and put a rubber boot over the switch. Works good, even with gloves on.
    [​IMG]

4. irv

irv Senior Member

here i alwas thought this was close enough. now you have us all thinking.
    more mods ispose.
    the only thing is if you use it for summer fun you might want to move it
    out of the way

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, it could get bumped there if you're not careful. Certainly easy to use though with your thumb without having to take your hand off the handlebars... This machine is pretty much parked all summer, it really only gets used for clearing sidewalks in the winter.

6. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i have the original warn toggle on mine, its as near the grip as youcanget it and worksawesome and thats why i kept it like that all the rest seem huge to me.

7. Mossy517

Mossy517 Junior Member
    from SE PA

Yea, I thnk I saw Warn has two pivot points so you can "swing" it more towards the grip. I may have to look into getting one of their switches

8. IPLOWSNO

yea it is small and very close to the grip,

9. noooooo

noooooo Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  10. IPLOWSNO

nooooooooooooo, that is a diffferent setup ya got going on, how much does your up and down actuator? cost and is it holding up?

11. noooooo

noooooo Member

The Mibar setup and the moose hydro turn kit have gone up in price. The mibar actuator squeals regularly as it is used. Dunno if it can be rebuilt if it dies on me. It is a bear linear actuator. I think the mibar is now about $500. I bought mine several years ago for about $300-or $350 They are calling for up to 16" of snow here tomorrow.