1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

winch cable failures

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by TPC Services, Dec 1, 2010.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I switched both the atv's out to a synthic rope but am still haveing issues with that breaking. what other ideas are out there that you may have tried??

2. johnscram

johnscram Junior Member

Yeah when i first switched, i was like wtf! No way this is gonna oull 4000lbs but i love the stuff now! Works soo well!

3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

When you put the synthetic rope on did you also put new fairleads on as well? Any little burr on the fairlead will chew through the rope fast.

4. MtnCowboy

MtnCowboy Member

Another option is a winch rotator/receiver such as found at Montana Jack's. It's pricey but allows the rope or cable to drop straight down w/o much contact with the fairleads. It also lets you quickly mount the winch on the rear if you need to winch yourself out of trouble, provided that your winch has enough cable. This is the 5th year that I've used the system - works like a charm.

5. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

+1,
    your roller's got to be smooth for the ropes to last.

could go to a length of strap that is like 3" wide and use that instead of a rope.

know when to stop liftng the plow also don't bottom it out on the quad all the time to stop when lifting it.

just my .02 on the matter.

6. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

best to use the 2in winch strap to replace the rope. should be able to get about 15ft on there i wouldn't want it too short in case you do need it to get un stuck

7. irv

irv Senior Member

there is a thread back in oct on page 3 called plow lifting mechanisms.
    i switched to the strap mentioned. used it sat and sun. no wear at all.
    the syn rope just gets flattened. this strap idea is great.--irv

look in the first snow tonite thread for a pic of my strap

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  8. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

i bought warns snow plow rope, but had no wieght rating, i also have a berncomac blower, I am scared to use the rope with the blower. the blower is 800 pounds
    ps its red rope if that helps

9. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

When I had the snowblower on my Rincon, I used synthetic rope with no problems.

10. mudman

mudman Junior Member

I'm on my third season with the same 2" winch strap.Thumbs Up

11. matstang

matstang Member

I just switched over to a 2" strap and freakin love it. I hated beating up the winch cable and read so much about people not liking the synthetic rope. The strap works sweet and doesn't beat up the fairlead. It winds up straight on itself and doesn't bind. I only used about 4 feet wrapped around the drum. Last year I installed a limit switch inline with the 'in' circuit of the winch switch that stops the plow EXACTLY where it needs to be so as to not put any excessive strain on the strap. Also prevents the all too common bending of the push tubes from holding the 'in' button too long. Makes plowing much more fun!

12. irv

irv Senior Member

id like full details on how to do that .sounds really nice.
    youre right about the strap. puts the load on a wider area.
    lots of great tips on this site for which im grateful--irv

13. Subseven

Subseven Member

One of the best solutions!

14. matstang

matstang Member

Irv, if you do a search on 'bent push tubes', you'll find a thread where I showed pictures of the process and the switch I used. Basically the magnet is attached to the push tubes and the switch part (with the wiring) is attached at a specific point on the frame. Works like a charm. Hope this helps!

15. matstang

matstang Member

16. irv

irv Senior Member

cool! thank you!--irv

17. hondarecon4435

what about the 8foot peices of synthetic you can buy just for a plow are they any stronger than the full 50 footers?

18. matstang

matstang Member

That would work, however I'm too cheap and always try to think of something I have laying around that I could use instead of going out and spending money! Also, never used the synthetic, but I've read in several places that any kind of burr on the roller will cause that rope to wear through rather quickly. I used an older tow strap. Cut it off at about 4 feet and burned the end so it wouldn't fray then wrapped it around the winch drum. It's a nice feeling knowing I'm not beating up my winch cable and rollers! Also, with a tow strap I've got two ends I can use for when/if this one wears out. The way its going though, it sure seems like it's gonna last quite a while...!

19. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

You need to use a hawse fairlead instead of roller style when using synthetic line.

You guys would be amazed how strong quality rope is. My tow strap is a 60 ft piece of tree climbing rope.

20. hondarecon4435

yea ive had synthetic and liked it alot i'm just wondering if the shorter peices designed for plows are thicker than the regular line so it won't break as easy