1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winch Cable Breaking

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Fourbycb, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Any Ideas why my snow plow Winch 3500 Lb Cap Cable keeps breaking and has flat spots about 2 ft and it breaks under very little stress load sometimes just lifting the blade up. Can I go to bigger cable or any ideas
    Thanks

2. jim331656

jim331656 Member
    from NJ

Go with a nice synthetic rope and dump the roller fairlead for an aluminum hause fairlead. That will make your life much easier

3. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

yes i agree put a synthetic rope on and make sure you have a roller fairlead that will allow the rope to roll. some guys have even cut tow straps and used those on the winch.
    I switched over to synthetic rope a few years ago and I will never ever go back, it is great because you don't get frayed wired poking you and it is soft and winds easier on the winch.

4. J.onathan

J.onathan Junior Member

The winch cable usually doesn't feed back onto the spool in nice uniform coils when there is slack in the cable (from lowering the blade) causing it to cross over itself and crush/break strands.

I had that problem on mine after only a few hours. I replaced the cable with a 3500# boat strap before the cable broke (saw it coming from flat spots and broken strands). Works great. Seems to lift faster too.

5. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

What kind of winch setup do you have? cheap cable?? I ran a pulley on my plow to keep the hook from coming in contact with the fairlead.. Just hooked the cable up to my bumper.. Never broke one.. Ive used my winch a lot and im still running the factory cable that came with my warn

6. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Cable has it's place, but snow plowing isn't the place, wears quickly and frays stab ya, then carrying sockey/ratchet to repair broken line.

Syn rope, honestly isn't much better, it still wears in same spot running over hawse or roller and eventually breaks.

I just cut a 5' long section of 2" boat winch strap, ran my winch line out so both hooks were equal length then taped the strap over the rope of my winch and winched it in, this way I get all the benfit of strap for raising plow and long life then when we want to go ditch hopping, I simply remove that small section of strap and have my winch back to normal for saving people:)

[​IMG]

7. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I just have a Polaris Brand winch with a roller fairlead but I like the boatstrap idea. I have the Warn Pro Advantage Plow and use the Pully on the plow and Hook into the slot on the lower frame unlike your's hooking where the pulley went. I like your Idea if a person could put a 2" wide roller /pulley and hook to the Bottom slot again would be ideal and still work

8. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I personally like direct attachment, I tried a pulley with grooved metal wheel and ball bearings where that plastic rope guide came from warn; direct drive is much faster up/down and less angle on rope/cable/strap for my configuration.

9. jim331656

jim331656 Member
    from NJ

My winch came with the synthetic rope and I want to say it has a 6-10ft nylon abrasion sleeve that i slide down to the hook when I am plowing. (actually I take the hook off when plowing now. Had issues with it coming off the plow so I replace the hook with a shackle) Never had an issue with wear. The only times my rope has snapped has been right at the hook trying to pull things way too heavy. Just tied it back on and was in business.

10. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Sleeve also helps protect it since kevlar/synthetic rope is uv unstable and will degrade as it's exposed to sunlight, so when it's wound on your spool the sleeve basically helps blanket rest of the layers/rope from uv rays. Rope protection in use is negligable. In the feild riding everytime any of us winch the sleeve ends up getting bunched up and pushed towards hook, ain't non of us going to try and keep it perfectly in line lol. And before I switched to strap I broke rope twice over area it rubbed over the bottom side of hawes fairlead, inside the sleeve. It's just alot of pressure and alot of consistantly wear on same section of rope/cable when raising a snowplow

11. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

Don't waste you time or money going to synthetic unless you use the winch other than plowing.

Take the cable out and replace it with a strap, been plowing many years and will only use a strap now.

Just use some tape to start it on the spool.

I use a 10k lb one with about 6' cut off so it fits on the spool from tractor supply , also use a roller fairlead.

12. Chevy2500

Chevy2500 Junior Member

Another vote for using the rope instead of cable.

13. KFX450RXC

KFX450RXC Member

I just recently with the Polaris Pro HD Winch Upgrade Kit and synthetic rope. Worked perfectly for last week's storm.

Two broken cables last year forced me to do something.

14. JoeInPI

JoeInPI Junior Member

I'm just wondering what snaps? How are the cables failing? I've never snapped mine with a plow since 2007. (?)

15. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

My winch cable is about a year old and its broke 4 times from about where the hook is back 2 ft or so towards the drum. My cable runs thru a pulley and Fair lead

16. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm tellin ya fellas, for plowing purposes, cable and rope both stink, strap it and get on with your life. I've experienced premature wear with cable in yrs past and the prickly ******* sucked to work with, even when repairing, always kept cable clamps and 1/4" ratchet/socket with me then proper cutting back to clean cable when I got home.

Bought a winch with rope and it didn't last any longer than my cable used to, just alot of stress over the same area over and over and over, then add a blade in a pile you need to lift a bit to back out which adds more tension and strain where it grazes over hawse fairlead, it snaps too..only advantage is a pocket knife to cut and repair is depth of tool kit needed.

Guys on polaris forum have experimented with pulleys to make cable/rope angle less aggressive over fairlead, it hasn't made a lick of difference other than lighter wallet for a gimmick, so more and more guys have switched to a 2" boat winch strap and more and more are spreading the word it's the best scenario for using an atv plow as they are getting multiple seasons on them.

17. irv

irv Senior Member

lots of guys using the strap. had mine on now for years and has never broken.
    also have the roller fairlead. its the only way to go. found out about it on this site, did it and have been very pleased.