1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

will you plow on the holiday?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MATTHEW, Dec 20, 2001.

?

Would you plow on Cristmas?

Poll closed Dec 28, 2001.
  1. No way. It's a holiday.

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Yes, if they call.

6 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Absolutely.

70 vote(s)
    88.6%
  1. MATTHEW

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

OK We're all hungry to work and there's a chance of snow for some of us for Christmas eve day and Christmas. If it snows will you plow?

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

looks like we got shafted out of snow on christmas day, but now they are saying there is a real good chance for a big snowstorm the day after. they say the cold air will be in place, so no chance for rain. who knows.

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Since I'm working as a sub, I've already spoken to the contractor I plow for with regard to being away for a few days at Christmas.

I'm back on the 26'th and will be around for New Year's, if needed to plow on those days I will.

After all, snow and ice control is a service industry!

4. DEISL

DEISL Member

Im curious to see which customers try to weasel out of paying their invoice claiming "OH i really didnt think we needed it after all we were closed." More binding arbitration.

5. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

plowed last year christmas eve, had dinner with family at mom and dads place 1/2 hr. away, when gifts were opened and party over they went to bed i went plowing till 4am, they got up for church and i stayed in bed. as 75 said it is a service ind.
    dan

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone picks the first choice, might as well save yourself the trouble and sell the rig now. You wont be needing it after the 25th.

7. Grant

Grant Member

When it snows, theres no such thing as a holiday. No holidays, no vacation days, no sick days, ya just go plow. Next best thing to milking cows 365 days a year.

8. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

we will definately plow if needed......a scaled down crew though, same with new years

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Absofrickenlutely I'll plow! Money needs to be made. Here in Wisconsin, along with everyone else just about, we need snow and need it bad. Well, I guess either that or freeze for a week so I can try and finish some dirt work still leftover from fall. Either or!

10. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

If it snows....I will go. With no snow here in Illinois yet, chomping at the bit to try out the new plow.

11. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Holiday??

If you run a service biz ( most do) then if it snows you do your job .:) Between my water well service biz & plowing I've worked some part of almost every holiday for the last 25 yrs. not to say I don't work around dinner with the familys and such. But were in a service biz so we do what we need to do to keep happy custormers since they do pay our bills.;)

12. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

yes. we will plow. All drivers will work. and we will work around family stuff. but we will only do the front lots and leave the back lots for late night. Must maintain safe access. I don't think there is even a question. NO HOLIDAY, NO SICK DAY, ETC as grant said

13. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

There is only 1 day a year where I will absouloutly not work. Christmas! X-mas eve, boxing day, New years eve and day I will go out but not christmas.

14. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

All trucks will be one the road, and anyone else that works a regular storm will be there too.

Some wondered why we couldn't let lots sit till x-mas day even seeing they are closed. My answer was simple, I don't want the liablity, if Fire trucks or other emergency vehicles needed to get to the building, and couldn't because it was blocked with snow. That and I am the boss, and I say business as usual.

Geoff

15. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

IF it snows, I'll definately be out. But... it doesn't look too promising, so I don't think I have anything to worry about. Course, this is Chicago... I could be knee deep in snow and collapsed lungs (ha ha) before morning.

16. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

yup we gotta work if it snows, no if's and or buts, considering about 75% of the stuff we plow is municipal we HAVE to be there with a full crew. The residentail is gotta get done too. I can't see how you can plow snow and choose if you wanna work or not. Last year we worked new years eve, new years day and we have to sand some of the church lots on christmas eve.

17. KSP1

KSP1 Junior Member

We'll be out there!!! Its the nature of the business.

18. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Its funny, every year right before Christmas, somebody posts the same question. thelawnguy summed it up best.

19. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

In 1990 I broke a family tradition of traveling to my Granmother's for Thansgiving because of snow and plowing. Two months later she passed away, I've been kicking myself ever since. Sometimes this business sucks!

I'll be out for Christmas if needed but I will make some time for the family. My route is very local so I can stop in at times. The customers will just have to be patient...

20. sledhead

sledhead Member

New truck, new plow, new sub. jobs all lined up, bet your a$$ I'll be out there.
    Besides, I dont have to report back to the plant till 1/2/02.
    Let it snow. Let it snow. Let it snow............................................

Sledhead