1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will water softner salt work ??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Eyesell, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

This may be a stupid question, but my brother-in-law has 6 pallets of water softener salt he wants to give me, will this work on ice like rock salt and will a BOSS tailgate spreader spread it.

He said the pellets are bigger than the typical rock salt I buy from him, but instead of trying to see if the spreader will spread it I'm more concerned 1.) will it still melt the ice the same as rock salt and then 2.) will the spreader work ?

Thanks in advance :redbounce
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think the answers to your questions are yes it will work. My biggest concern would be people trying to walk on it because of the size. It might be like trying to walk on small rocks. A few years ago a friend put it down because he could not find rock salt and it seemed to work fine.
  3. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Yes, I've used it in the past when there was a rock salt shortage. Be carefull spreading, the larger pellets shoot out of the spreader at a pretty high speed. As mentioned above, they might present a bit of a hazard walking on them, however they do melt down pretty fast....
  4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

This is all the guy I worked for last year would use. Said it was cheaper.
  5. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

Break it up smaller

you could use it but i would look at the safety concernsif someone was to step on it and fell could they say it was the size of the pellets and threw them off balance ?
    i would use it but try to break it into smaller pellets!!!:help:
  6. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

mix half and half and you should be fine...
  7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Other than it being like walking on marbles till it gets chewed up.....
  8. RadHog

RadHog Junior Member

that is all we use....... 80 pd bags for $3.00 No problems at all
  9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

There are several different types/sizes of water softener salt. I've seen some as big as peanuts and some not much bigger than #1 rocksalt.

The Boss spreader will have no problem spreading either size. The bigger the better as there would be NO bridging like you have with smaller particles.

Sometimes water softener salt comes down in price when you buy pallets at a time. Big problem is, most stores only carry 40lb bags.

Wish they'd bag salt in 65lb bags.

80's get pretty heavy, and 50's take forever to fill the hopper.