1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will walk behinds throw bulk sand/salt mix?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by canoebuildah, Dec 9, 2008.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

Anybody have any experience with using a walk behind spreader with salt/sand bulk mix? I need to sand three gravel driveways with a combined length of 600'. I have been using 5 gallon buckets and a shovel but that is not very efficient.

I can get bulk sand/salt from my local DPW yard for free as it is for residential use. If that mix won't work well in the walk behind spreaders, I can get bagged salt if necessary but this is for vehicle traction, not sidewalks.

Thanks for the input.

2. DKG

DKG Senior Member

An Epoke walk behind will spread just about anything.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it will but he might have a heart attack when he finds out it costs $1200. LOL

4. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

I have an Epoke and a Snow ex. The Snow ex will not spread pickled sand, but the Epoke will.

5. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I had experimented with this. If the mixture is kept light it could work. Do you have a good heavy duty walk behind spreader? I know my scotts one doesn't work so well with sand, unless the sand is dry, which is a task in itself. It'll spread bulk salt just fine, but that sand is usually too wet to work. Sorry.

6. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I have not purchased one yet, researching first.

This will not be dry sand. The bulk mix is stored inside a big dome shed and is usually somewhat damp. I can try to skim the top layer off of the pile which is usually drier than what is down lower.

I guess I might be better off doing it by bucket and shovel.

7. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

mount a small vibrator to the spreader and power it with a mower batt and bam it will spread anything

8. jamartz

jamartz Member

I use a walkbehind for all my jobs. Too cheap to by a tailgate spreader yet! I got mine at Northern Tool. Brand name is ICE Breaker. Holds 100lbs and has rubber pneumatic tires. Works great for me. It was $150ish i think maybe $160.