1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will v plow windrow good?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chadb, Jan 1, 2009.

1. chadb

chadb Junior Member
    from IA

Hello,

I work for a small town and currently we use a single axle dump truck with a 11' viking plow and a JD 570 grader to plow our streets.

We are going to be purchasing a pick-up plow. I've been looking at the Boss 9' straight blade plow. I got thinking a v plow would come in handy at times but when straightened out will it windrow as good as a straight blade? 90% of it's use would be on the street pushing snow to the sides.

Thanks,
    Chad

2. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

There about the same there are times that the snow will not roll off as well because of the center pivot point

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

They windrow just fine.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No problem.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Mine windrows great.

6. blizzak

blizzak Junior Member

Go for the blizzard or the western wide out and you will have the best of both worlds

7. mnconst

mnconst Member
    from indiana

western wide-out the only way to go

8. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Mine windrow great as well

9. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

Don't buy anything but a vee, choose what make best fits your needs with service and operation, they all have their pros and cons, but man when I dog leg my Fisher vee it KICKS it out there Big Time. And stack like nobodies "Bidness". You won't be disappointed.

10. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

"V" plows are great but if your running mostly roads I would recommend a 10' straight with wings or 9' with wings. Not sure what kind of truck it would be going on, but the straight blade will be cheaper, cost less in the long run, as far as cutting edges and may even hold up better. I assume your not looking at a boss due to the full trip. (I like my boss plows but if I were only doing roads I wouldn't own a full trip, Just a trip edge) So for your initial question yes the "v" will windrow just as well, would that be my pick no.

11. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I agree with the last. We have Vs but on the truck that does a lot of private roads and a parking lot with long windrows, I wnet with a Fisher straight blade and a snowfoil. A V will windrow fine to 6" or so then a straight blade will be a bit better in deeper snow.

Also the foil (we hang a flap off ours) is nice for higher speed windrowing and you can't have one on a V.

12. chadb

chadb Junior Member
    from IA

First off, thanks for the replies.

We have on order a 2009 Ford F250 4x4 that we'll be putting the plow on. The reason I thought a V plow would be handy is because we plow our alleys now with the grader and it barely fits in places with the mold board cranked close to the wheels. We alternate each time we plow as to what side gets the windrow (people always complain that we don't, but we do), with the V plow each side would get a windrow.

Also if we get 5"+ snow we'll probably just use the dump truck and grader (we do have a big ass V plow for our grader).

Is there considerable more maintenance on a V plow?

Thanks for the great info!
    Chad

13. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

my dpw runs 3 pickup trucks with boss v's on them with no problem. two 9'2" polys and one 9'2" vxt. these trucks do a lot of side streets and city owned lots without a problem. id go with the v due to the flexability of it and the v would be nice in the alleys.

14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Mine works just fine for windrowing.

15. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

v's windrow just fine i would use a boss xt they work well or a fisher.more maintenace more moving part but worth it