1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will V-blade truck side wiring work on a straight blade?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by RyanG85, Dec 20, 2011.

1. RyanG85

RyanG85 Junior Member

My father has a 7'6 straight ultra mount Pro Plow on a half ton truck. I would like to get a truck side set up for my F250 as a back up since his truck has seen better days. I'm planning on getting a 8'6 MVP for my truck in the future. If I wire my truck for the MVP now, will that control the straight blade also or is the wiring completely different? I know the V has more pins in the connector than the straight but are the pins that control the left, right, up and down common between the two. Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance. Ryan

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

no
    The MVP and wideout will work
    Think you have buy separate module
    I have a western 8.5 pro plus and 9.5 MVP wont cross
    MVP has a remote control module
    pro plus is hard wire module

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

If it's the original MVP, not the newer MVP Plus, then you need to use the MVP control harness (26346) for a ten pin controller, then you can use an adapter (66760K) and straight blade controller, and it will run a straight blade.

If it's an MVP plus, then it's got Multiplex wiring, and is not compatible with your straight blade.

4. RyanG85

RyanG85 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I've got an early Ultra Mount 8'6 V at my shop now that I'm thinking of buying. It was on a truck that caught on fire and will need all new wiring, pump and hoses. If I can purchase the parts needed for the v blade that are compatible with the straight (using the adapter (66760K) and straight blade controller then I should be able to use either plow?

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

That's correct. Wire the truck for the MVP, then a simple swap of controllers, using the adapter, and you can run a straight blade.

6. RyanG85

RyanG85 Junior Member

Thanks for the help!

7. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Also check that both plows have the same number of connectors. Probably doesn't apply to you, but some early Uni-mount plows (I know you said the one you are looking at is an UltraMount) had 3 connectors: Lights, Control, Power. Shortly afterwards, Western simplified the wiring and switched to 2 connectors for the V plows after that and integrated the Control and Lights into a single plug, the Power plug was the second plug. I think it was just 2003 that they did that, but, it wouldn't hurt to just make sure it isn't an early MVP converted over, because if one plow has 3 connectors and the other one has 2, you might run into problems.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. RyanG85

RyanG85 Junior Member

The V Blade was in a fire and will need everything new as far as wiring. The straight blade has three connectors.