1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will tractor/loader handle 7ft. Horst 3000 blade?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by japyke, Oct 26, 2009.

1. japyke

japyke Junior Member
    from 18938

Hi y'all,
    Quick question here. Will this rig handle a Horst 7' 3000 series plow ok?
    Tractor is 47 HP, approx. 5000lbs +loader weight. 10 years of snowblowing and aching necks are causing us to want to add a blade. Horst blades seem to be pretty nice. Thanks.

MF 243 w:1055 QAttach.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

you could handle a 8ft blade if you wanted, 7ft no problem

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like you need a cab on that first!

4. grosser397

grosser397 Senior Member

you can put a 9ft plow on it and be fine. it weighs more then a 3/4ton truck and guys put 9s on those and i dont think power will be a issue

5. Why not put a 3pt hitch quick attach on the front, then run your blower on the loader arms?

6. japyke

japyke Junior Member
    from 18938

Yes we need a cab. It's kind of like microsoft and windows. Ya' start with a model T and end up trying to figure out how to add adaptive cruise control when you should just buy a MAC.
    There was a time back in 2000 that this tractor replaced a 2WD MF265 (a challenge in the steep), and it was a huge step up. We use the tractor in the woods; that, combined with being on a budget, made a cab a wish only.
    I know, the answer is a dedicated plow tractor! A platform at that!

Mounting the blower on the front is an option but there are two reasons why I've discounted it.
    The first and foremost is that this tractor is underpowered and undertransmissioned for the 6' blower we have. There was an option of a $1000 creeper tranny when we ordered it but I thought why would anyone want that- for planting or something? ..... the answer was someone snowblowing. It's great the majority of the time but in a heavy conditions the tractor just can't go slow enough. Blowing Snow Takes Power and 47HP doesn't necessarily cut it. The second reason is the drive issue. I think we have 13.4 GPM to work with and I have visions of 2" hydraulic hoses and 50 gallon resevoirs of HYTRAN strapped on the side of the tractor. It's that Model T thing again. I guess there's the PTO from rear to front idea but that makes me think of an unuseable drawbar and driveline chatter.
    plus my dad turns 80 in March and his solution to a big storm is just don't go out till it's over. He hates getting plastered with the snowblower. He's excited about having a plow so what the heck.
    I gather there's a FEL / plow debate but I guess I'm thinking we should be able to run the combo. I'd love to skip the loader and use a parallel frame mount but the MF243 hasn't exactly been hot on the designers list. Not a compact and the smallest of the Ags.
    I was kind of hoping someone might be able to post a pic of a Horst 3000. the company website only has a schematic and the specs are incomplete.
    thanks for the replies and listening.

The Driveway.jpg

7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I would not go over 8 feet. You will need extra hydraulics if you want to angle the plow. I noticed the blower chute rotatation is manual, so you may have an extra hydraulic valve in the back you can use.
    If you are not planing on angling the plow, have you looked into a 8 foot Pro-Tech compact sno pusher. Its around 2,400.00 Canadian.
    Is that a couture blower you have, it did seem a little big for that tractor, but like you said you just make smaller passes or go slower. I guess you do not have a creeper gear, and then again, that may be painfully to slow.

8. japyke

japyke Junior Member
    from 18938

I've been studying the 3000 series. The Schematic on the website shows dual hydraulic cylinders. I've been presuming that the 3000 oscillates, can you confirm?
    your photo looks like it could be a 3000...it's a trip edge not a full trip like the 2000 series. Horst says the 2000 series is for max. 5000 lb. unit and it only has a 24" moldboard so for that reason I've been steering toward the 3000. I've also looked at the Boss, Curtis, and Virnig units.
    Can you elaborate on a mid mount PTO driveline system? Sounds complex. I gravitate toward quick attach.

9. First, let me say, I am quite new to tractors etc so confirm anything I say :) My Massey 1643 (just bought) has its blower on the front. The loader comes off since the blower has its own sub frame. Its pto driven from the midmount pto. I posted a pic over in http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=87833

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Is that available on this type of tractor? That is a CUT/SCUT kind of thing.

11. By 'that' do you mean the front mount blower? If so, I don't know.
    By 'this' do you mean your tractor? If so, check with your dealer.
    The MF1643L is classed as a CUT (compact utility tractor).

12. cretebaby

By "that"I meant the mid mount PTO you asked about.

No, I meant the OP's tractor

I figured.

13. crete, sorry about that. I thought I was answering the OP. I'm pretty sure the 1643 is CUT, again, I could be wrong. According to the women in my life, I'm wrong on a lot of stuff :D

14. cretebaby

:drinkup: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

15. japyke

japyke Junior Member
    from 18938

Yes it is a 6' Couture Blower and yes in hindsight probably 1' too wide but it does work fine 95% of the time. I guess that's when it's time to use the bucket, right? And yes the tractor does have 2 additional sets of remote hydraulics of which I plan to use 1 to angle the plow. We just hope to get a little more groundspeed and a little less snow in the face with a plow.

Couture at work.jpg

16. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I run a blade on the front of my TN75 and it's ok, but it's not the ideal solution.

1. it's got wings on it and that's a mistake on a tractor blade. It basically functions like a plow box for twice the price (lesson learned). You can't go fast enough to make it roll off the edge. (it would work correctly I think without the wings)

Since you're clearing a driveway, don't get wings.

2. it's a PITA to run. You need the loader joystick plus a remote from the back to run the side to side. (and a lot of hydraulic hose and fittings, it's not included in the price, don't forget to figure it in). And of course, your RPM's are up a little so you can take off at a reasonable speed which makes the remotes run very fast. SLAM, SLAM from one side to the other. It's annoying. You need 3 or 4 hands.

3. It stacks amazingly well. You can make huge piles!!!!!!!!!!! (15' plus tall easy)

4. it's really easy to bend the loader arms. As you know, Ag tractors don't have real strong loaders and pushing a lot of snow and hitting something hard tweaks the loader arms.

5. My TN full up with weights and plows weighs well over 9000lbs and honestly an 8' with wings is about all it can handle. You simply run out of traction. Now, chains would probably fix this, but that doesn't work for my situation. a 7' blade would be pretty good for your application. I've got that TC45 and ti's similar sized to your 243 (although it's a CUT and yours is a utility) and I wouldn't go more than 7' on it.

HTH

17. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You're still going to get plastered with snow. All the flyoff from the blade comes up. You'll still need that snow suit.
    It will however go a lot faster than snowblowing.
    and on a really big monster storm, you can just use the snowblower

18. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Wow thats a beautiful picture. Not to worry about snow in your face with a front blade. Your ground speed will rarely if ever be fast enough for that. Go for the 8 foot you want to push the snow over far enough so your tires clear the windrow.