1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

will timbrens help?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by burbguy, Sep 17, 2006.

1. burbguy

burbguy Junior Member

will timbrens help on the front end of a 79 half ton with a 7.5' western plow? I am not sure if they would work well enough or if I should change springs. The front springs seem like they are a little weak but I got a great price on the truck so I had to get it. Any help would be great, I am trying to get ready before the snow flies.
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Burbguy
    Maybe rearch the springs and a set if Timberns. They can't hurt and they only run about $150 a set, and are easy to install.

Regards Mike
  3. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Burbguy -- There's no need to double post on this forum. Folks here read everything.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

first off rearch is a wast of time. this has been covered tons of times on other sites. and with the plow on the front it will settle back even faster.

second the 73-87 style leafs in the front are tapered leafs. thay dont respond well to arching them.

best bet if you want it to hold good and need a bit of a comfort zone. get a set of aftermarket plow packs . or a small lift kit. 2.5 " or 4" wont mess with ya to bad. and you will find the front shackle bushings in the frame mount to be bad. get a bushing set.

this will let ya run taller tires for getting threw the snow.

cheep fix i have seen is junk yard packs . some come 3 leaf front. then take your packs and add your leafs to them and get longger new ubolts and bam taller with o.k. fix.
  5. burbguy

burbguy Junior Member

I do have a 90 suburban sitting here that has a 2.5 lift in it. These are the springs that I was going to use. The only bad thing with it is the back leaves are different length so I would have to either buy some new springs for that or block under them. The plow I have now is mounted on the suburban but I bought a truck being it is hard to see backing up in tight spaces.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: :nod:

Do not use lift kit springs on a work/plow truck...
    The springs typically found in them offer a soft ride with a lot of flex..
    Great for off road.. But lousy for plowing.

Try the Timbrens or a add a leaf. or both..
  7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

unless you get heavy duty option ones. some companys offer soft ride and hd also for big blocks and winches and big heavy trucks . thay do ride much stiffer.