1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will Timbrens be enough??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowtoy, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I just ordered a set of Timbrens for the front of my Jimmy today. I picked up a used Blizzard 720 this weekend and i was told by my local dealer it only weighed 15lbs more than my 680 without the cutting edge. Well i figured that the 680 would be as heavy since i had a cutting edge made from half inch steel rather than the 3/8 from the oem. The 720 still has the oem cutting edge on it and also has a fairly heavy homemade rubber flap on the top of it but the plow seems much heavier than 15lbs.
    I have turned up the torsion bars some to level the front without a load but HATE riding uphill when I have no load on it. I attempted to install new rear leaf spring shackles last weekend to lift it some and then i would have turned the torsion bars up more but we couldn't get the old bolts out.
    Now here's the real problem, I just bought and installed a like new set of Goodyear Wrangler silent armors for it that are 31x10.50 15s and they didn't rub with the 680 but do alot with the 720. Do you think the Timbrens will be enough to keep me from rubbing or will i have to body lift the truck?? I have never used anything like timbrens so i don't know what to expect. Thanks for your input, Dave
  2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

:DI dont often talk to myself, but i thought it would be good to share with you that i just installed my timbrens and what a differance they make. I havent had a chance to actually plow with them on but i did take the plow out for a test drive and didnt rub once. May have been the best investment yet:D
  3. Division

Division Member

I would be VERY careful jackin up the torsion bars too much. I have seen them shatter from stress. Dont rely on them soley. Timbrens will be much help esp on such a small vehicle.

The best thing to do is find a spring shop, we have one here, they added a new set of leafs to my first truck rear end and it was only $180. it lifted it alot, also brand new HD shocks in the rear and front will help alot. Ballasting the rear after making these adjustments will bring the front end around a lot and will help w/ traction.

Good luck!
  4. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Timbrens help a lot!