1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will this work?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 7_below, Dec 10, 2011.

1. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I'm just about to mount this deflector I made from scrap conveyor belt and flat stock. It seems like its sticking out to much and should be more vertical. Is how it should look or should I add a 8' length of L shape steel behind it, then sandwich the rubber between the flat stock? I tried it but it looked like it was angled to far down. Maybe someone could snap a closeup shot of their Ultramount w/ deflector. Thanks

snow deflector 1.jpg

Snow deflector 3.jpg
  2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

3. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

It looks like the top edge of the boss is angled down and not rolled back like the western. Im thinking with the way I have mine set up, it will probably blow back at highway speeds.
  4. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

It should be fine the way you have it. The rubber looks fairly heavy and isn't sagging down so I don't think it will blow back, though it will try.

You're going to want to add some "curl braces" (as Western calls them) to the outer holes. If you don't, the stress of the air getting caught under the flap will flex the curl and cause the blade skin to rip at the weld. Here's a couple of pictures of the ones I made with some 5/16 diameter stainless eye bolts. You can see where the blade was repaired byt the previous owner because of the flexing.

5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've got the Western flap on mine - they have the metal on top that pushes the rubber down over the top of the blade. I think that metal helps keep the rubber from deforming over time and also from stacking.

The overhang looks about the same as yours though

This is the best pic that I have of mine.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

here u go:

7. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm just going to roll with it. However I am installing those curl braces. Thanks for the heads up Mark.
  8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

that will work just fine