1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will this work?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ReddensLawnCare, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare Member

Hey guys, some of you from LS might know, I do mostly landscaping maintenance on my properties in the Charlotte, NC area. The last two years we have had several 3"+ snows, which for here is considered a good snow and the city all but shuts down. The last two years I have just shoveled the snow or used a BP blower to clean off walks. I dont do any parking areas, just salt those. So here are my thoughts:
    Get a power broom attachement for my KM90 that is two feet wide to clean off sidewalks in two passes. Will this work?
    Purchase a few bags of CaCl to mix in my BP sprayer to pretreat and post treat sidewalks because my commercials dont really like all the salt that has been getting tracked in.

Thanks in advance
  2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Liquid is not the miracle they tell you. It helps like this;
    1) If you pre treat a walk it will help in keeping a hard bond between the ick and the walking surface. This may actually reduce up to 3/4 of an inch IF there is foot or car traffic otherwise it will mostly sit there.
    2) It is a great activator on rock salt and helps keep the surface wet longer so this will help reduce salt usage.
    3) Post snow treatment does nothing different than a glass of water to 'melt' the snow.

What you might consider is a salt product that is multi part with a color tracer. This is typically only used for walks and the salt is smaller and reacts quick so there is nearly no tracking into a building. Also do not over apply or you'll get tracking no matter what.