1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will this work out??

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Fox255, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Fox255

Fox255 Junior Member
    from PA

Hello, I'm new to plowing, and this site. I plan of buying a truck with a plow. Nothing special, no stars, bells, and whistle. Just a mid sized truck and a strait blade plow. I plan on only doing a few residential driveways. Especially family, and friends. No Commercial. If I would right of a contract with all the info and have a line stating I'm not responsible for any damage or liability to slips and falls. My main question is could I get through the first season doing that. No insurance, just having contract signed stating no liability on me. I just want to see if the business is there for me, if so I plan on getting insurance and turn plowing in to my own business.
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

My suggestion is to go sub for someone else first.

That said now to answer your questions. Having them sign something saying you are not liable does NOT meant you can't be sued. What are you gonna do if your truck breaks? Most normally auto insurance will not cover any damage you cause while plowing for money. Are you available 24/7?

Really think you should consider subbing for a few years before going out on your own.
  3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

No insurance? Stay home. Do it right, or stay out of the business. Sounds harsh, but this business doesn't need anymore "un"professionals.
  4. Fox255

Fox255 Junior Member
    from PA

Yea... one thing is I really don't know how to get into the subbing world. You know "get my name out there" also keep in mind I'd do 5 driveways max just to get into the flow. would that still be a problem?
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

You could lose everything fighting a lawsuit, not loosing a lawsuit just fighting it. Find out who is plowing in your area. Go talk to them, see if they have any openings. Most likely they will not put you in a truck if you have no experience. Now if you have your truck any reputable contractor will ask to see your insurance.
  6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You could lose all of your personal possessions, and possibly spend time in prison if you accidentally kill someone while conducting yourself as a business.... illegitimately. You can't have someone sign an agreement to accept responsibility for something in an illegal transaction, as the transaction itself must be legitimate for the document to be valid. Ask someone to sell you cocaine, and then have them sign an agreement that they would take the heat should something go wrong.... Illegal is Illegal, unless of course, you're discussing immigration, and then it's just fake, unenforceable illegal.

In the state of NJ (and I'm sure in most other states as well) you're required to be registered with the state as a "business" if you want to conduct yourself as one. You're NOW on a national website asking folks who are in this business whether or not it's "Okay" if you work illegally, uninsured, and with zero experience.

You're also required by your auto carrier to notify them if you're using your truck with a plow. If you don't tell them that your truck has a plow, and you're using it to plow other people's driveways, and you hit someone while driving around, they have the right to decline your accident damage and any subsequent personal injury, as your failure to notify, and again, illegal activity.

Is Plowing taxable in PA? In NJ it is. Are you going to charge tax and then pocket it ? or are you going to register and pay the sales tax on all the "friends" you're going to clear this winter ? Collect the tax, then not paying it into the state is considered tax evasion, not to mention you're supposed to claim your income on your federal return as well. You can claim you weren't there, but since everyone and their grandmother has a cell phone camera, it's entirely possible that you would / could be video'd clearing snow for cash. Judges love video evidence.....

If you're going to do it..... do it right, or do it for free. This way, you can get your experience and if something happens, you didn't accept payment for it, so volunteers are less likely to be convicted in a court of law. And to think, you could potentially help every little old lady in your neighborhood out, so they could get out to their local supermarket and continue buying their 1/4 lb of bologna, and a 1/4 lb of cheese on a daily basis...:D

Something to think about..