1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

will this work? gmc k3500 v-plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by m_i_k_e, Jun 26, 2008.

1. m_i_k_e

m_i_k_e Junior Member

hey guys. i am new to plowing this year with the truck but i have been running the skid steer for a few years. anyway, here is my problem. the truck i want to put the plow on is a 1996 gmc k3500 4x4 with the 6.5 turbo diesel crew cab and 8ft box. the plow i want to mount is westerns mvp 8' 6" in poly. i talked to one dealer near me and we set everything up, he said everything was a-okay to go. i called another just to compare prices and he told me there was no way i could mount a v-plow on that truck and even a straight plow would be crazy because the weight on the front would be too much with that diesel engine. he even went as far as to say that a v-plow would lift the back tires off the ground without 2000lbs of ballast and that if i did ballast it would cause the plow to scrape on even small inclines. now im new to truck plowing but that seemed a bit crazy to me. i realize just because of the sheer length of the truck and the added length of the v-plow that this thing will be a monster to drive, but im okay with that. anyway, what i want to know is if i put some timbrens in turn up the tbars and put some ballast in the back, how this would work with an 8' 6" v-plow? or would it just be a waste of time?

any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks,

-michael

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Guy's have different opinions, but at the end of the season it's your front end. Can you do it, yes, will it lift the rear wheels in the air, no. Will it stress the front axle a whole lot? Yes and lower the ride height. There are different torsion bars, and suspension assists to help increase your clearance. That won't help the steering components, axles, bearings or increase your brake to weight ratio. It'll be longer then a train, and probably weigh as much, but it will do the job in spite of being higher maintenance then a rich girl with a cocaine habit. but you can do it.:waving:

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a duel or single rear wheel truck Michael?

And welcome to PS :)

4. m_i_k_e

m_i_k_e Junior Member

thanks guys. B&B its a single rear wheel. basher, so your saying you wouldnt reccomend putting a plow on this truck? okay let me give you my exact situation to help you get a better idea of what im trying to do. i run a lawn care and construction business and up to this point i have just hired on and ran my skid steer with other snow crews during the winter, but this year i am doing my family's 10 acre apartment complex myself. that truck works great for pulling my skid steer or hauling the crew around, and i realize its not idea for plowing, but its the truck i want to use for that right now, the rest i have arent heavy enough. i plan on purchasing a better plow truck in a year but i just need something to get me through the winter, hence i want to put a plow on this truck. the plow can be moved from one truck to the other if i just purchase new mount hardware correct? how much damage would it do if i just used it on that one property this winter and next winter put it on something new and didnt use that truck to plow any more? also, how much do you think moving the plow like that would cost?

thanks so much for your help guys!

-michael

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Of course with the 6.5 and the poly Vee it's going to be over weight on the front axle rating by a substantial amount but it won't kill the truck in a single year regardless. Many guys run trucks over weight on the front axles for years and never have a major problem with additional wear. Regular maintenance and respecting the equipment during use is far more of an importance to prolonging the life of a truck than being overweight on the axle capacity.

A few turns on the T-bars, enough ballast in the rear, and a set of Timbrens will help carry the additional weight...so no T-bar upgrade would be needed. Of course since you will be operating this truck over weight it's all at your own discretion....

And yes you can swap it to a different truck later by purchasing the mount...and maybe new wiring/Isolation module depending on what kind of truck it ends up going on.

The biggest problem I actually see, and one you may have not thought of at this point is that an 8.5 isn't really wide enough to cover the wheel track on a crew cab long bed truck, due to the wide turning radius. May want to seriously consider a 9.5 instead.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm saying just what is said if with a :rolleyes:. You can do it, but it's not the best set up. Even with SRW you are a little short on blade. You're going to end up wanting wings to extend the plow as B&B pointed out. But if it's all the budget allows (the truck) It will get it done.

Why not utilize the skid steer with a push box or a Vee with Double acting rams and wings, could be more durable and maneuverable?

7. m_i_k_e

m_i_k_e Junior Member

i have been seriously considering that with the skid steer and probably will get a v-plow for that this winter. i usually use the skid steer with the standard bucket for cleaning the tight spaces in between cars etc. i dont really have my heart set on a truck plow, and wouldnt be too sad if i didnt end up getting one, i just want to make sure the job gets done in the long run as quickly as possible. we dont really get taht much snow here compared to other places and its usually less than 5" when we do. my biggest concern is to get the streets cleared as quickly as possible to allow my residents to get to work. do you think if i put the v-plow on the skid steer and hit the streets and big areas, then switched to the small bucket and did detail work i could get the job done pretty fast? if it would work out id actually rather do the plowing with the skid steer than the truck since its so much more agile and easier to control. also, i will prolly have a polaris utv by the winter, so with a plow on that, and the skid steer with v-plow do you think that could handle the job? ill try to get an aerial photo of the site up as soon as i can so you can get an idea of what im trying to do.

thanks a million for all the help and suggestions!

-michael

8. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Michael,

As everyone has said, you can do it, but it isn't recommended. Personally speaking, I wouldn't put a plow on that truck. A crew cab is a giant beast, and while I do not know your apt complex, I'm sure that there are some tight spots, tight turns, and people who do not know how to park. All of those things, along with a huge truck increases the likelihood of hitting something.

Depending on the size of your skid steer, you could always put a 10' snow pusher on it, and it will work like a champ! It'll probably cost you less than a new V plow setup as well. As long as you aren't planning on plowing other lots/properties, this might be your best bet. If you are going to be plowing other properties, then it can be a PITA to load/unload the skid steer & snow bucket at each location.

Good luck!

Evan

9. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

the v-plow is a heavy plow and with the truck you have it will be overweight, but to be honest i would do it. just keep up on the maintance and the truck will push the snow no problem. its a long truck but some weight in the back, u shouldnt have a problem.just my 2 cents tho. i wish my plow truck had a diesel.

10. m_i_k_e

m_i_k_e Junior Member

okay thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciated all the advice. i was going to go with the skid steer plow, had it all priced out and ready to order and everything, but decided against that because of only one reason, the skid steer is relatively slow compared to a truck, and the areas i will be plowing are fairly long and heavily used, so speed is of the essence here. what i actually ended up doing was getting a dodge 3/4 ton srw short cab long box with a gas engine and a solid front axle. i think that will do alot better plowing than my big beast, and it will be faster than the skid steer. plus that will leave me the skid steer free to clear tight spaces with a small bucket at the same time as the truck is clearing roads.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sounds like a good decision. remember to ballast the truck.