1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will this truck handle a Wideout???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by spencer087, Nov 1, 2010.

1. spencer087

spencer087 Member

2010 Dodge 3500 regular cab dual rear wheel standard tranny.

Western says no but a 9' pro plus will fit.

9' pro plus is 837#

Wideout is 955#

118# difference. Im going to have a lot of ballast so will this truck handle this plow?

2. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

I think you should be fine

3. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Thats what I was thinking, western says wideout is fine on my exact truck if it is ST but not SLT. I weigh 160 so I bet my lighter weight will compensate. I think they usually base driver on 210#

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would do it. Its a one ton!;)

5. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Just be prepared to replace the tie rods and ball joints, dodge front ends are a little soft, is it a CTD or Hemi motor ?? if it's a gasser ur frontend weight may be a little lighter., rear balliast will not really do u much but off set the front end sag. either go with after market front end parts or be prepared to pay the piper. lots of guys on here with dodges have replaced there front end parts with after market parts becasue they will hold up better.

6. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

engine makes a big difference... if it is gas go for it youll be fine. if it is diesel i wouldn't...

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Well put ^

I have Chevys with IFS because I like how they ride outside of the 25-30 days out of the year that I don't have a plow strapped to the front of my truck. They say that you can only put a 7.6 ft plow on the front of them. I run 9 footers. More of less, if you replace a few parts every now and then, you can put a dozer blade on the front.

8. TPC Services

not to be really a smart ass but U get enough snow to clear dwn there in springfield, Mo ?? (LOL) xysport

9. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Oh ya dodges infamous ball joint and u joint eating. This is my third Dodge and I always replace with lifetime warranty parts for that reason. I still have all three. 2000 1500, 2004 3500 SRW, and the 2010 3500 DRW. The 2000 and 2004 have lifetime parts all over them lol.

Yes we get snow down here and alot of ice as well. 3 years ago we had almost no snow but an ice storm that had power off for 3 weeks in some places.

Last year we had snow galore!

So this year being my first i will either make $$$ as one of about 5 businesses who plow in the area or i will lose my a$$!

Every business I ask is very grateful i approached them because they don't have anyone to do it.

P.S. It is a CTD. i think in 2010 all 3500's are standard CTD and all 1500 are standard Hemi with 2500 being either or.

10. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Ok according to Dodge body builders handbook i have a 5500# front axle and my front end weighs 4340#

So i get 1160# to work with.

Wideout is 955#

205# extra.

Is that pushing it too close?

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

no, your fine.

12. TPC Services

you can run what ever you want! just tell the dealer a lie when it goes in under warrenty!! they learn you are running a larger then recommened blade they may refuse it, just depends on how well u get along with them, most 3500's are CTD forgot u said it was a 3500 Dullie!!

13. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Ya I guess I better ask them. I dont think they will mind because my truck in ST is ok for wideout but not SLT when there is only a 40lb difference between the two

14. TPC Services

I would'nt ask them unless u have a great relation with them. otherwise I would'nt tell them!!

15. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

You can call them up anonymously. They would probably be none the wiser, if you are really concerned with it call another dealer a few counties away.

16. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Good idea!

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

the 105 brake certification requirements dis-allow the installation of a wide-out. there reaches a point where one pound makes the difference. A lot of guys will buy the plow cash and carry, install it themselves or find someone to do it. Then they carry a bunch of ballast and are prepared to replace front end components more often.

Western should warranty the plow but not the installation and will have no liability for the effects on the vehicle.

18. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Good idea!

19. spencer087

spencer087 Member

I was planning on doing alot more ballast than requires for
    Any plow I buy anyways because of breaking and traction. We get alot of ice. So with more ballast it should be fine but I must do install myself?

20. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Well i read Westerns warranty on their website and they say they dont warranty anything on the vehicle anyways and they wont warranty the plow if it is improperly installed.

I guess technically it wouldn't be improperly installed if it was on my truck since they all use the same mounts you could really put it on a chevy s10 even though it would break the chevy to pieces the plow would be "properly installed" so they should still cover it IMO