1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will this truck do the job?!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SnowBusters_, Aug 31, 2011.

1. SnowBusters_

SnowBusters_ Junior Member

2. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

i would stay away from that personally. it would be good if you had only small driveways to do but commerical that poor thing wont hold up too well and being stick shift probably burn up clutches if your not careful. if you plan on doing commercial i would definitely recomend a 3/4ton or 1 ton single wheel since youll also have residential and if not getting a v plow dont go bigger than an 8 foot otherwise you may have problems in driveways. more people will have good advice too, good luck starting
  3. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I wouldn't even think about that. There is no way it will hold up to commercial lots. As randomb said it would probably be ok if you were just planning on a few residential drives. I run a 3/4 ton with a 8.2 vxt and do commercial and residential, and it works out great. I would look for a 3/4 ton, but a decent 1/2 ton would get the job done for you as well. I haven't been in the business for as long as most of the guys on here, so I'm sure you'll get some good advice. Don't be afraid of the search button. Good Luck!
  4. C&T Landscaping

C&T Landscaping Member

Looks like its getting ready to flip over, tail over nose...haha
  5. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

I would either save up one more year or invest in something else. I would hate to see you dump the cash into it to only find out that it wont work for what you need. Plowing the school access road thats less than a block long and 1 lane is different than the grocery store. Good luck and happy plowing.
  6. SnowBusters_

Thanks a lot for all the feedbacks much appreciated. So I guess im going to have to pass on this deal but another favor I may ask for is that I am new to plowing and would like to know what is a good setup for starting out? I live in Calgary, Alberta and it gets snowy here, so I just want to know what front plows are good? do I need a sander at the back on the trunk? and do I need to install hydralics?

Thanks again.
  7. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

For a truck, get a 3/4 or 1 ton. Typically a regular cab, long bed is better because of the tighter turning radius but most guys get by with longer trucks, including me.

For the plow, there really is no "best" plow. Dealer support is going to go a long way in determining what plow you run.

You will most likely need a spreader for commercial accounts. What type and size is determined by how much material you need to spread.
  8. SnowBusters_

Oh ok thanks cold_and_tired! How about for pricing wise? I see a lot of people on here have their own way on pricing/bidding properties but what is the most beneficial and profitable way to do it? I don't really get the per push method.
  9. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

For me, the most beneficial is seasonal pricing. Most of my customers feel that it is the most beneficial to them as well. As far as profitability goes, I don't think there is one pricing method that is always going to be more profitable than others.

With seasonal pricing, profit goes down every time it snows. With per push or hourly, profit goes up every time it snows.

An example of the per push method is this: I own a store with a small parking lot, lets say 10,000 square feet. You offer to plow that lot for $100 every time there is 2-4" of snow on it. $150 for 4-6", $225 for 6-8", $350 for 8+" of snow. (Remember, these are example prices.)

So every time you pay me a visit, you measure the depth of the snow and bill accordingly. That's per push pricing.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of this method. There is just too much room for argument. I give a single price for 2+" of snow and make as many visits to the site as necessary.