1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will This Tire Fit ?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by danno, Jan 8, 2005.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

Will a 305/70/16 fit on a 96 Ram 1500 4X4 that has a 1" front lift ? :confused:
  2. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

I had a 98 w/ 305/75/15's on it & it fit OK. a little rubbing fully turned to the left if I remember, but otherwise it was fine. BTW, that's too big for stock gears, particularly if it's an auto. Trust me. :)

3. danno

danno Senior Member

I only plan on using this setup in the summer, on the street. In the winter, I`ve got 235/85/16s for plowing. Do you still think the gears will be too small?
  4. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

It's your call.
    Mine was OK, I just knew it would have been better w/ smaller tires.
    BTW, nice tire size for winter.
    You'll find the wider tires are great for getting in & out of yards, but slip easier in the rain.

Hope this helps.

Here is/was my 98 w/ it's 305's. notice how tight the front is. the back had an extra leaf. :)

5. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Danno--the Best tire for Plowing SNOW! is TALL & NARROW! Flat Floaters are NO Good! for Plowing SNOW!--I Dono? where this Big Wide Tire Stuff started?--Monster Trucks I Guess?--another FAD! like Tatoos? & Pierced Bodies Parts? DONO?? but in Plowing SNOW!--TALL & NARROW is the Way to GO!--Ole JIM--
  6. danno

danno Senior Member

Like I said in my post; I DO have 235/75/16s for winter plowing ! :dizzy:
  7. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

runnin 315/75 R16

No problems in snow, or rain. I find I don't leave hardpack tracks nearly as much as the tall/skinnies do. But thats just me

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

In the summer I run 265/75-16's. Diesel truck=high torque and in the rain the stock width tires suck. Wider =better for that but in snow I use either stock 245/75-16 (on now) or (preferred)235/85-16- they are available in E range (which I need) AND the diameter is the same as the 265's so the milage is the same.

Last winter I plowed with the 265's (as I did my first year) and had no problems, but the first year I went to 235/85's I was able to do every storm in 2wd completely instead of switching into 45wd here and there- this season has been 4wd almost all the time and the fuel milage has really dropped for it.

I went with Toyo Open Country for summer (and plowed them last year- great traction), currently BFG commercial TA (horrible). Fav plow only tires are Goodyear Wrangler Extra Grip's- awesome tires- most plowers in the area use them.