1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will this headlight mod. mess up my plow lights?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by vi009dz, Jan 18, 2011.

1. vi009dz

vi009dz Member

I was reading about an easy modification to get the low beams to stay on while your high beams are on. I found it on the Tahoe / Yukon forums. Apparently its only 2000-2002.

It looks like a nice quick modification for increased light, but I'm curious how this will play with my 3 port isolation module for my Western HTS.

I have NO idea how they sense power, and trigger accordingly, so whatever insight you can provide would be appreciated. Worst case, I'll wire it up accordingly and hope for the best.
  2. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

You could do that, but keep in mind the extra amperage that you're pulling and the extra heat.
    Now consider if it's back feeding anything in the truck that might be sensitive. I wouldn't want to blow up a pricey headlight module.... which I have already done from an emergency light setup.=[
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Got that on my 00 2500. Did it 2 years ago and no issues with the plow lights
  4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I haven't had any problems with my 06.
  5. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Not sure about plow module interference, but it is possible to make any truck that has a 4 bulb system light all 4 bulbs at the same time.

I know it don't help the op but maybe it will help someone.
  6. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

that will work; but there is a better option: HID headlights. my brother bought me a set and I'm a believer. the set cost $40 and I don't even use high beams anymore. I think this is the website he got them from: http://www.vvme.com

Took me about 15-20 minutes to install -hardest part is finding a spot for the ballast! its all plug and play after that.
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I have HIDs, cant run my plow lights without removing the HIDs and hooking up the old lights. PITA! This year I was lazy so I ran harness with inline fuses right to my battery. So to turn on my lights I have to open the hood and install the blade fuse on top of the battery. Not using high beams because it takes too long to dim them. Maybe if you changed the plow lights to HIDs too, seen it done but IMO its overkill
  8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

re: the original question, I have the all4onhi mod, and when I was running the plowlights the normal way they worked fine with both filaments lit up.
  9. vi009dz

vi009dz Member

Thanks for the responses fellas. I was more after having all 4 lights on HI for normal everyday driving for my wife and I, than searching for extra plowing light. I just wanted to make sure that if I did this, that the control module wouldn't get confused and mess up my plow lights.

Thanks again.

10. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

yeah it should be fine, they make those kits for most any gm with quad healights. i know on the 89-92 and 93-98 (99-00 classic) its just a simple relay. i always wanted to do that too. it looks much better with the lowbeams on, because the truck doesnt look so narrow, and you get a little extral light on the sides as opposed to the straight forward light
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ground the yellow wire (do BOTH sides) and enjoy the good visibility with no ill affects. Been doing it since '99. Thumbs Up
  12. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

Just curious, what would you need to do for this mod on an 06 2500HD?
  13. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

1N4004 diode, or any 12V diode. .99 for two at radio shack. Some guys tie into a harness under the steering column. I went under the hood to the relays. For a while I had the fogs tied into the high beams as well. I blew a bulb and never got around to fixing it and then I put HID in the high beams. Google "2006 4 hi mod" and you will find a ton of info on it. From what I have read, 2003 - current are all the same and before that was a different way to do it.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Dig around on the web for the step by step, it's pretty much everywhere any more. I know there's at least a mention or two of it here from me as well in the past. It's an easy as pie worthy upgrade for the cost of a dollars worth of parts.
  15. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

LMC Truck has a kit that they sell to do this as well.

High beam headlight relay kit....page 111 of the online catalog.

There are three different versions listed...