1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will this ex-county truck work for commercial jobs?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sk187, Jun 19, 2007.

1. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I just bought this 1999 ex-county International. I got a really good deal I believe at 8,000$. The truck has a 12' belly blade, 12' power blade(left right up down) on the front a salt spreader and auger to move the salt from box to spreader. It also has only 90,000 miles heated mirrors and lights to see the belly plow.

We have a excavation company and have plowed commercial jobs in previous years using loaders and pickups.

I bought this to replace the pickups as I think I can do most things with the belly blade and then just use the big front plow for pushing windrows up.

I also use the truck in addition to our other dumps for delivering mulch/sand/rock/top dirt in the summer months.

I just wanted opinions on if this truck will work well for larger commercial parking lots and roads.

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Did you buy that from Youngs down on M40? Josh had called me awhile ago and said his dad was getting three of them and to come and look at them, seeing that front blade, I wish I had went over there..................
  3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Holy crap that is a great deal!
  4. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

No this came from Flint MI, the guy has 1 more but the box is not in as nice of shape.
  5. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I take it this truck will work then?

I'm not kidding at all, I know nothing about these trucks and have always used a loader or skid steer to plow with.

I just wanted to make sure I could do commercial parking lots and roads with it.

BTW: Does anyone know anything about how the auger in the back works? I think you put salt in the box and then the auger pulls the salt out and into the salt spreader.
  6. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

That would be a great asset to my company if I had one. The only thing that I dont like is that its not red. I hope that the truck works great for you. What company does your family own?
  7. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Tyler David Co. - out of Zeeland and Holland.

I plan on painting the box either red or black even though it was just repainted yellow.
  8. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Isn't that the style you have to raise the body to fill the auger? That belly blade will work real well on hard pack snow or ice. Truck looks nice, hope you have good luck with it. Hippy
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That salter is known as an EZ8 salter. There is a lid on the top of the salter that you open. You use the chains on the side of the box to control how far the tailgate opens. You do not want it to open far enough to touch the lid from the salter. When you first fill the box with salt it pushes open the tailgate and puts salt in the salter. As you need more salt you lift the box and the salt flows to the back of the box and into the salter.

You got a great deal there!!!!!!!!!
  10. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Yeah my guess is you put the salt in the box and lift it a little and it rolls down into the auger and out a little hole cut in the metal onto the spreader.
  11. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Thanks alot for the information. This truck did not come with a control box in the cab for the spreader(it was removed) do you know anything about finding a replacement?
  12. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

That truck won't work well at all. I think you need to sell it to me and buy another pickup truck. :rolleyes:
  13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are the hydraulic hoses still coming into the cab? I would think this type of truck would have PTO and that would run the salter. The cab controls are not that expensive. You would be looking for dual flow, one to control the auger and the second to control the spinner. I tried a search but could not find any pictures. I know there are some on here somewhere.
  14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

go down to the local DPW garage and talk to some of the drivers. they will be able to give alot of info on your truck and how it works and how to use it.
    the belly blades work best for plowing roads, anything over about 8" will start to lift the back of the truck up, then slide it sideways. since you have a front blade you will be alot better off. good luck and post pics this winter.
  15. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If you cant figure out what you need for the spreader controls, drive the truck over to Allied Truck Equip on Clay ave in Wyoming between 54th and 44th. Ask for Elwin in the service dept, he will know what you need and where to find it.
  16. jrs plowing

jrs plowing Junior Member
    from ohio

could you give me the name of the guy in flint for the other truck

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Yes it will work your 2 biggest issues will be that its clumsy I would stay away from daytime plowing with alot of people in the lot and salting up close to store fronts and so on will be tough the other issue will be driver comfort if your in that truck for 13 hrs or more you might wish you were in pickup but sounds like you got it right $$$$ so im sure you'll make it work and make $$$$ for you