1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will these tires work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danno, Oct 3, 2004.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

I`m new to plowing and recently bought a 96 1500 with H D springs, putting on Timbrens. I also bought a 99 Fisher MM 7 1/2 RD plow. The tires are P 265/70/ R 16s. I know LTs are for pickups, but will these be OK to plow a couple driveways with?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Is your truck (I assume it's a Chevy) a 4wd? You'll probably be ok if what you're plowing is fairly level and you have 4WD. I wouldn't try steep hills or really deep snow which would cause heavy pushing. The main reason for the LT is for traction (in this case, the other would be for heavier loads). If you're going to be doing much plowing, you'll really be better off with LTs.

3. danno

danno Senior Member

Actually its a Dodge Ram. I was concerned mostly about the load rating for the "P" series with the weight of the plow.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I was thinking more of the tread pattern of P vs LT for traction. I would think others have run P rated tires and done ok with carrying the weight of a plow.

5. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

P and LT series tires are both available n a multitude of tread designs. I have p265/75r16 All Terrian Goodyears on my 1996 Chevy. and had no problems last year. It all depends on how agressive the tread design is and the rubber compound.

6. jebx

jebx Junior Member
    from MN

If the truck came with P rated tires they sell the truck with tires rated heavy enough for it. Basically if you stick within the capacities of the truck (GAWR/GVWR) the tires should be fine.

Oh, and LT has nothing to do with traction, it is capacity. More than anything how much tread left will affect traction, any bald tire will suck.