1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will the TGS07 Handle Straight Sand?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mitragorz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

Pretty simple question. The reason I ask is because the Buyers website says it'll do Bulk Salt and 50/50 Sand/Salt, but it seems like most places around here are closer to 80/20. And if it can handle straight sand, then a higher ratio like that wouldn't be an issue.

I'm picking up a small lot next season and they like their sand/salt mix. Looking to pick up a spreader that can take a ratio like that, and I like the TGS07.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I have spread straight chloride treated sand with mine. I don't do it a lot just on a couple of gravel drives and the hill in front of my house. The spreader has to run wide open or it jams when you slow it down. If your doing a parking lot it won't matter but on I driveway you end up wasting some sand. Now since I run salt 99percent of the time my baffle is set for that and the vibrator must be on the whole time. If I had it opened up more I'm sure the sand would flow better. I did mix some of the sand with salt and that worked better. I did also try dry bagged traction sand mixed with bulk salt and that flows great. I wouldn't buy the spreader if straight sand is the only thing you plan to use but it will get the job done.

3. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

I spread sand salt mix exclusively with my tgs 07 it's probably 80/20 or 90/10 sand to salt. You just have to make sure it's not clumpy.

4. magnatrac

How far open is your baffle ? I figured it would work alot better if I opened mine up but since I spread salt most of the time I haven't messed with it.

5. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

I have a first year model, there is no baffle or inverted v, the material just sits directly on the auger. I've never spread straight salt with mine so I can't really give good feedback. With wet sand I set the controller to 5 or 6 and go slow it works well.

6. magnatrac

Thanks for the info good to know. If I get a bunch of sand to spread (could happen the way the season has gone) I will just pull the vee out first .

7. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

Thanks for all the input, guys, I appreciate it. Seems like this spreader would be a good fit for me.