1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will the Silverado handle it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wfoley, Nov 11, 2002.

1. wfoley

wfoley Junior Member

we're primarily an underground cable installer and will try snow plowing this winter to keep our financial head above water. The truck we'll use is a '93 K2500 X cab Silverado short bed. The plow is a 7.5' Meyer. The truck is terrific for pulling around the 4000 lb. trailer/trencher but it is the light duty 3/4 ton with 6 bolt axles and a comfortable ride. Should we do anything with the front suspension to handle the weight of the plow? Any help will be appreciated by us newbies.
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

look in your owners manual and see what they suggest as to maxiumum snow plow weight, i would say no problem
  3. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

That truck will handle the plow fine.
  4. fiftycav

fiftycav Junior Member

Hey guy I put a 7.5 meyer on my gmc 1500 yukon (1999) last year. After asking many of the same questions you are the guys on this site seemed to think with a few minor modifications my truck would be safe, dependable and long lasting as long as I was careful. The modifacations done were instalation of Timbren load boosters (timbrens.com i think) onto my front end, had my torsion bars tightened up and got a set of some good e class (10 ply large load capacity) tires set on some stock steel rims for the winter. With you and your 2500 chevy I imagine you would have no problem with the wieght. Later snow bro.
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i have seen much larger plows on the 2500s. i think you should be just fine. You may want to pickup up a set of the timbrens like mentioned above to prevent front end sag.
  6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

One of the guys around here has a 8.5 Fisher V-plow on his light duty 3/4 ton and has no problems,the V plow is much heavier than the 7.5 your looking at.I also run the timbren load boosters on front,under $150 and well worth it to me,Just my 2 cents.
  7. wfoley

wfoley Junior Member

Thanks for the good replies. Does Timbren have a website? I think I'd feel better with a little sturdier front end. BTW when did they start putting 1/2 ton axles into "3/4" ton trucks? The truck does what we want real well but we hadn't figured on rough work like plowing. Thanks again
  8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

9. 95LongHaul

95LongHaul Junior Member

10. thruwayspring

thruwayspring Junior Member

The other thing to make that K-1500 work well is run ballast weight @ 400-500 lbs. Will help offset weight of plow on front end.
  11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Bill,you dont need anything to run that little Meyer plow,not even timbrens,dont bother with them.i f your going to put over 100 dollars into anything on your truck put it where it will do the most good,the biggest trans cooler you can afford,if its an auto.The 93's didnt have an aux cooler,that started in 94 from the factory if you had a tow/plow pkg.If you have a stick,and want to spend some bucks,bu ya spare alternator, I bought one for all my trucks, now.from now on il never have one go out again,since i have one under the seat along with all the tools to change it.