1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will the e57 with bosch motor work

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wild Lake, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Wild Lake

Wild Lake Junior Member

I have an 02 silverado 2500 and just bought a new e57. The meyer site says that the newest e57s have an american bosch motor and will not work with vehicles having a positive ground electrical system. It will cause the motor to spin reverse. My question is wether or not my vehicle has a positive ground electrical system or not. I am replacing an e60 if that matters at all. Thanks in advance.
    Josh

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I don't think there has been a positive ground system car/truck made sence the earley 30's every vehicle made today is negitive ground.

3. Wild Lake

Wild Lake Junior Member

I was pretty certain of that the positve grounds were way old school. Thanks for the confirmation.

4. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

Unless you put a 6 Volt system and a generator in that truck it's negative ground. Positive ground all but disappeared with 12V and alternators. Six volts worked better on + ground (don't know the technical reasons) and generators can be wound + or -. Alternators with internal regulators absolutely need - ground to function or you'll let all the smoke out, and every one knows, once the smoke comes out it won't work anymore. If it did matter you would need to swap the Prestolite motor in. It's a 4 brush motor so it doesn't care which way the electrons flow. The Bosch is a 2 brush motor and does care. I had to put a Bosch motor in last winter late night, mid storm. found a guy still at his shop, got the motor, installed it. Motor ran plow, didn't work WTF!!! After an hour of diagnosing and head scratching I figured it out. Turns out whoever rebuilt it wired it wrong internally and it spun the wrong direction!! I'll tell you the plow won't work if the motor spins the wrong way. Very frustrating.