1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will temps in the red prevent starting?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by owen, Oct 25, 2004.

1. owen

owen Member
    from florida

You guys helped me fix my truck, then you helped me fix my 8000 lbs boat . Now I have put the two together.

Pulling down the road at 55 (TH400 I think) my engine temp sits around 210. Idle in traffic I see around 220. The truck "feels" hot though. My guess is the tranny.

When I shut the truck off to get gas ($$$ frequent procedure $$$) the temp shoots up to the red.

Now the truck will not start like the ignition has been switched off. After a longer wait (20 min) it starts.

Does 1985 have this technology to disable the starter if the temp was too high?

BTW: 7mpg driving like grandma and pulling the SeaRay 268, not bad for 260,000 miles :)

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

You most likely have a water pump/ thermostat issue.

3. bigrich954rr

bigrich954rr Junior Member

heat

most likely your starter is getting to hot so i wont engauge. theres no over heat switch on it. to fix it check your cooling system if thats ok buy a heat shield for your starter to block some of the heat

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I've had my temp gage read hot when the truck was turned off also. It read fine till or nearer to hot than normal. The problem was the temperature sensor/sending unit. It did not cause a restart problem though. I'm wondering if it may be connected with a bad oil pressure sending unit, wired in the same circuit. So it would prevent a startup with no oil pressure.

5. owen

owen Member
    from florida

when I first got the truck it would overheat while idling and subsiquent starter attempts would barely engage. A new fan clutch fixed that.

The oil PSI reads good on the guage.

This "no start" problem felt like the ignition fuse had blown. I don't have a starter shield. That'll be next on the list.

6. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I know how to fix your problem, go to your nearest dealer and get a diesel :waving:

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

While a new truck would relieve the problem I'm sure there is a cheaper way. a heat soaked started will act up. when you say no ignition you mean it will not crank? or it will crank but no starty?

Do you have headers?

If it just wont crank. First thing to do is check and clean all the conections at the battery and the starter. The started may just be dying. Can you jump the starter and get it to turn over? (run a jumper between the positive and the coil trigger wire) if you arent using one of those cool clip on switches ment for the deal it will spark big time, dont worry. If the starter is in good shape a starter blanket may help or shield and a ford style remote starter sylinoid will help.

Also on a side note.....verify your "hot temps" with another gauge and sender. Then start trouble shooting to get your temps down.

An aftermarket trans cooler will help, you have a functioning lock up converter right?

An old chevy wont cut the ignition if it sees 0 psi.

8. owen

owen Member
    from florida

Like the battery has been disconnected.

No headers. New starter (reman.. I'm sure)

Don't even know what a lock up converter is :dizzy: but the tranny seems to work fine.

........in my dreams $$$$$

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Get a shield or a blanket, started may have taken a crap though? Those remans drive me nuts. I had one with a liftime warantee, swaped it 3 times :angry: before I sold the truck. Doing the same thing as you describe.

So it wont turn over the motor but all other electrical stuff works?

Verify your temp gauge and make sure you have the proper amount of coolant and the right mix(get one of theose glycol testers) If you dont fear freezing water is actually better at cooling than antifreeze, run a lower mix of glycol in the summer or warm areas.

If you get done pulling and let it idel for a minute or 2 does the temp start climbing or falling?

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I had a reman starter on my truck with a one-year warrenty. It has been replaced twice under warrenty with no headers etc, just stock 305 manifolds. It may be a piece of .... just like mine was.

11. drplow

drplow Senior Member

an overheated engine, when turned off and the restarted will be much harder for the starter to crank the engine over and in some cases it wont have enough power to start the truck.