1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will she crack?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the_md81, Jan 15, 2013.

1. the_md81

the_md81 Junior Member
    from 53045

Howdy all,

I got a 06 LBZ crew cab long bed. I've got a brand new 8'2 Boss V plow on her and she's been doin spectacular. I'm wanting to put a salter on her in the next week or so and would really like to go with a v-box instead of tailgate. However, she's only got a 4800 lb. front axle and it's a CC LB with the diesel and ally. If I put anywhere from a 500-1500 pound salter in, and add an additional 2 tons of salt, how much added stress is that gonna put on the front axle?

The plow is 770 lbs. and the mount is about 100 lbs.
    Salters I'm looking at:
    550 lbs -.Electric Snow Ex V-Maxx 8500
    1040 lbs - Gas Swenson PVS

2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Well Boss doesn't even recommend putting a plow on that truck in the first place, so yeah. Lots of other guys trucks have bigger and heavier plows tho. IMO get the electric Snow Ex and put the gussets on.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  3. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

We run a 2004 2500hd with a 900 lb wideout, 850 lb empty swenson vbox, and 2 yards of salt. Nothing has broken yet! Thumbs Up

P.S. that is in a 6.0 gasser tho

4. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Stay away from a gas vbox. Electric is the only way to go

5. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

You could install Timbrens in the front and rear and that will do wonders for all the weight of the plow, spreader, and salt. Without Timbrens - you would be OK.

6. ANDREW2500

ANDREW2500 Junior Member

Timbres fur sure I run them front and back plus new keys up front with one inch blocks in rear 9'2 vblade and I've had 3k of salt in bed towing a loader around with a pusher blade no problem !

7. the_md81

the_md81 Junior Member
    from 53045

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely be putting timbrens on if/when I get a box salter

8. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Timbrens are a waste IMO. Gussets are a must!

9. ANDREW2500

ANDREW2500 Junior Member

What are gussets ?

10. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

You can put a sander in back, no problem. Just dont load it with salt:laughing:. Same with plow.. dont lift it off the ground and you be ok:laughing::laughing:

11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Frame gussets.... Use the search for cracked frames, you'll see pics of them.

12. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I disagree. Allows ya to lift the plow without having the front end drop to the ground. Thumbs Up

When the plow is off you don't have the front end 4" higher than the back due to over cranked bars.

I'd say do both.