1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

will rubber cutting edge leave marks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frosty123, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Frosty123

Frosty123 Junior Member
    from wv

Hello, I have been plowing developments and parking lots for years but I got a contract this year that has a lot of concrete sidewalks. Too much to do by hand. I have an atv with a plow and want to make a cutting edge out of poly or rubber. The rubber is easier to get but will it make black marks on the nice new sidewalks?

2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

we use rubber, no marks, but it definately does not do well with packed snow

3. redman6565

we might get a second blade that is poly for those conditions

4. Frosty123

Frosty123 Junior Member
    from wv

Thanks. Have you ever made one for an atv plow?

5. redman6565

atv no, but skidsteer yes, and skids allow you to put more down pressure though and they leave no rubber marks, so you should definately be good with an atv

6. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Like redman said, a skidsteer is able to apply a lot more down pressure than any atv plow you will find out there and they do not leave marks even when plowing cement. If you go the poly route be sure to find something strong enough to hold up to plowing, just make sure that the first crack or imperfection you hit wont destroy the poly edge. Good luck!

7. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

I heard about a guy who used one of those plastic (fake wood for decks) 5/4 boards. I'm going try it for the heck of it and see if it holds up. If it doesn't I'll toss it and go back to rubber. Anyone ever heard/tried this? Boards were free so I'd only be out a few minutes if they don't work..

8. redman6565

fake wood? really? never heard of that...how durable would it be?

9. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Please let us know how it works out-I'm just interested out of curiousity. I'm a carpenter in the "off" season and have worked extensively with the product. My advice would be not to drill to close to the edge and bolt it on with over size washer;this material is very dense and cracks easily along the edge. It definetely does have the weight to make a good blade though. Let us know how you make out.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  10. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

I just bolted it on leaving 2" overhang, now I am waiting for this snow to stick on more than the grass. Maybe I can try it today. I'll let you know.

11. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I have a poly on a v-plow for an atv. works great. bought the poly from Fall Line. it will probably outlast the plow.