1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Will Not Drop?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 73Scout, Sep 4, 2009.

1. 73Scout

73Scout Junior Member

I own a '73 Scout that has an older Western cable/joystick control plow on it that all of a sudden will not lower. It moves left, right, and up no problem. Any suggestions?

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Be careful because the plow could drop at any time!!!!! You have to remove the cover on the side of the pump where the lift/lower cable enters the housing. Then check for movment in there. There is no electrical connection for lowering the plow. The valve that the cable connects to has to be checked if it is operational. You can manually operate it. AGAIN BE CAREFUL THE PLOW COULD DROP AT ANY TIME!!

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Broken lift cable failed with the gate in the raise postion..

4. 73Scout

73Scout Junior Member

Having a blast trying to post replies!!!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  5. 73Scout

73Scout Junior Member

I did get the plow to drop within the last three days, it will lift and drop about four or five times normally then it will start to drop really, really slow and then completely stop working again. Any thoughts, I have only been plowing for the last three years for myself and my neighbors and would really hate to go back to using the 4-Wheeler. Thanks for the isea on checking the valve and safety first, I am using a hydrulic lift under the plow when it gets stuck in the raised position, thanks.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does it raise OK? With the cover off the lift valve block, have someone else work the controls. Does the gate open amd close fully?

7. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

My Guess- Because it does work 4 or 5 times then starts dropping slow, sounds like it could be cable adjustment.
    Put blocks under the plow for safety!!!!

If your by yourself, raise plow and keep joystick in neutral

Remove the rectangle cover w/ 4 screws

gently remove cable from arm

take pliers and twist the arm counter clockwise to see if it drops

If yes, i would replace cable w/ o.e.m. adjustable cable.

If no, post it . Goodluck PT.:) Have a nice evening